S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got those M# plastic mirrors, what do i need to do to them b4 i get them painted when i paint my truck???

·
fog it!
487 Posts
just scuff them with a red scotch pad then spray them with adhesion permoter(sp) then paint them

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
I sanded down the mold lines and the text that was molded on the bottom of the mirror with 400 then went to 600 then primed and painted. You don't need any adhesion promotor if the're sanded with 600.

·
fog it!
487 Posts
i always put adhesion promoter on plastic and rubber parts better safe than sorry

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Adhesion promotor is for flexible parts to help the paint stick while you sand and buff and get the parts back on the vehicle. It evaporates after a few days anyways. It's not really necessary.

·
The other "BODY" man
6,277 Posts
I took mine apart to paint them, you can get into the hole a lot easier with sandpaper and paint with them apart!

snap the mirror out,, just pops out,

undo screw, and springs, and it falls apart!

If you're going to do this, allow the mirrors to dry 2 days b4 putting them back together, so you don't indent the clear with your mitts!

·
Frame Laying Member
2,068 Posts
Zeeke98 said:
I sanded down the mold lines and the text that was molded on the bottom of the mirror with 400 then went to 600 then primed and painted. You don't need any adhesion promotor if the're sanded with 600.
Wouldn't it have been alot easier and faster just to 220 all the moldlines and texture then primed and painted? IMO 600 dosn't leave a big enough scratch to put primer down on expecally on plastic. I would use promotor on any plactic peice just because plastic can be weird. We just painted some plastic peices on a quad, just went over with a marron scuff pad and painted them, the paint started flaking off the second we got them on the quad. I did a set of SS Mirrors, I used 400 on all the big areas, then with a marron scuff pad, i got into all the edges and cracks, painted and clearned them, they looked good and no flackage.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i already hit it with red scotchpad, and then sprayed bulldog on it, looks and feels fine right now, we will see what happens when we paint it.

·
fog it!
487 Posts
crazy_s_dime said:
well, i already hit it with red scotchpad, and then sprayed bulldog on it, looks and feels fine right now, we will see what happens when we paint it.

you'll be fine

·
i'd hit it!!
406 Posts
hit it with 600 wet and paint em

1 - 11 of 11 Posts