S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i just got my 94 SS with a 96 LT4 in it. but im wondering what kind of upgrades i can do to it to up the power....right now it is estimated at 370 HP at the crank, with cams, rocker kit, all that jazz, 3" intake, sanderson headers, and dual 2 1/2" exhaust. does anyone have any experience with this engine, or should i take this to the LT4um?? im sorry, but high 12s just isnt fast enough...:D hehe, lata

·
Registered
128 Posts
How about some head work, intake plentum kit (bored throttle body??), or else you could always put on nitrous or a supercharger.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a blower might be a tight fit under the hood...nitrous is feasible, but i really want all the time, on-tap horsepower. dual 52mm butterflys can be done...or 58mm with machining...the engine has aluminum heads on it and its quite a tight fit so im not looking foward to pulling it apart...heh, lata

·
Yeah, still on the bottle
201 Posts
58mm is a waste of money... to machine and intake and buy the 58mm throttle body.. Just stick with a 52mm and your done with it. LT4's can only flow throw 750CFM, and a 58mm can flow throw only 560CFM so its pointless to machine out the intake....

Best way for extra ponies is do a hot kit, since factory the LT4's have more efficient intake and roller rockers, port and polish your heads, do a beefer cam that will match the roller rockers, since the cam you got from factory is okay theirs a better one that seems to work well, GM performance makes it and also Elbebrock does too. Also replace your timing chain for a better precise timing, high flow catbacks and with spin-tech or Random Technologies exhuast seems to work very well with the LT4's.... Don't forget throw in an X-pipe for the exhaust... stay away from a H-pipe design b/c their really don't do much... Another thing you can do is stiffer valve springs. Maybe also do 8.5mm spark plug wires, bigger coil, ignition box, Iriduim plugs and thats about it without going crazy... :)

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm, good suggestions...thanks heres some info on what the engine has..

ENGINE-LT4 350 FACT. RATED AT 330HP & 340FT ( NOW APPX 360HP & 370FT)
HEADS-ALUMINUM- 240 CFM FLOW-54.4 C.C. COMB-7/16" ROCKER STUDS
COMPRESSION-10.8:1
VALVETRAIN-CRANE 1:6 ROLLER ROCKERS-2.00" INT & 1.55" EXH VALVES
CAMSHAFT-.479 LIFT & 210 DEG
CRANKSHAFT-SPECIAL MACHINED NODULAR IRON W/ 4-BOLT MAIN CAPS
FUEL-3.5GPS 28LBS/HR INJECTORS
TIMING CHAIN-ROLLER
HEADERS-1 5/8" SANDERSON W/ JETHOT COATING
EXHAUST PIPES-DUAL 2 1/2" ALL THE WAY TO THE REAR W/ CHROME TIPS
CATS-DUAL FREEFLOWING
MUFFLERS-DUAL MAGNAFLOWS
INTAKE-LARGE K & N CONE FILTER ON 3 1/2" TUBES ROUTED TO COOL AIR
SUSPENSION-LAKEWOOD TRACTION BARS
TRANS-4L60E W/ B & M SHIFT KIT AND VETTE SERVO

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 4L60E works for an LT4? Hmmm... how well? (just to make sure I am getting this right.... the 4L60E is the 4.3l auto tranny)

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wrong..in our trucks, the 4L60e is THE auto tranny, used behind both 2.2 and 4.3 engines. it is also the auto tranny in camaros and firebirds, and its sitting behind the LS1. these are the same case as the 700R-4, just not as heavy duty. also, i have an article of a TT Corvette running 1300hp with a 4L60e behind it, and theres not really that much work done to it, besides straight-cut gears for the 1-2 shift and metal washers instead of plastic ones...

·
201 Posts
4L6OE is like their universal tranny.... it works well among all platforms... They do that to cut pricing in manufacturing different styles of trannies....

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
1300 HP with a 4L60E and it only has basic mods...That I would love to know how they got to work........I thought they 4L80E was the HiPo version to use.....:confused:

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
No problem Bud....Easy mistake to make.....:thumbup:

·
201 Posts
4L6OE can with stand alot of power and torque. It transfers the energy quite easily without damaging it. I'm really not sure it can handle up to 1300hp but I know it can with stand about 800hp with no problem. You really cannot beef up a tranny, only a few bolts and washers can be upgraded where the stress points are high. After doing so, its some strong shiit.. :)

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Vette, No stock or midly modified l60 is going to handle 800 horsepower with no problem....Also, there are more than a few upgrades other than nuts and bolts and washers that can be added to build a reliable 4L60E...I'd almost bet my truck that a 4L60E wouldnt live more than 3 or 4 passes behind 800 Horse...Hate to argue but facts are facts.....check this site out for more info www.netgearhead.com

·
201 Posts
Oh, well the people that did my swap did a truck with the 4L6OE LT1 beefed to a 396 everything done to the motor, and supercharged... It cranks closely to 796hp relatively 800hp... They been cruising around with that much power with no problem. Thats why I said that b/c I witness a ride thats been fine for over 6months now. :)

So, I dunno, maybe my mechanic left something out that he didn't tell me... :confused:

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Not doubting that they did it bud just doubting that its a relatively stock tranny.....Probably worked to the balls.....They punched an LT1 to 396 Cu. in? If Im correct a 350 .060 over is about 371.....Must have been a stroker motor(383) .040 over. Sounds nice though...Too bad you cant post any pics....

·
201 Posts
02REDXBLAZE said:
Not doubting that they did it bud just doubting that its a relatively stock tranny.....Probably worked to the balls.....They punched an LT1 to 396 Cu. in? If Im correct a 350 .060 over is about 371.....Must have been a stroker motor(383) .040 over. Sounds nice though...Too bad you cant post any pics....
Yeah your probably right for the tranny.. Next time I go there I'll ask for a definite answer.

As for the engine it was stroked into a 396 and it is a LT1 and lowered the compression (to what I have no idea), and running a Vortech blower running 24lbs with a custom aftercooler. As for all the details I dunno... Only thing I know that truck is scarey.. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a grandsport,the manifold ports are smaller then the head ports,so you can take the manifold off and ported it to match the intake gaskets.good for a few horse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts