S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I hear its easier to mount a vette motor LT1 than a F-Body LT1. So is it just becuase of the A/C and those who have done it does tha A/C compressor create that big of a problem? (The F-Body Motor). Also can I get the mounts for the vette motor and convert everything to that style of setup? Also anyone have any tips on the conversion before I dive in. O yeah and what kind of shifter works for a 4l60e? If ya can post a link.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The main problem is the A/C compressor. You can notch the frame for it if you would like, it's not a huge problem, it's just a question of what you want/feel like doing to make the engine fit.
The accessories for the F-body and Vette are different, so you can't just get a Vette bracket and swap everything over.
Any shifter will pretty much work, Lokar makes a decent one, also B&M. Of course, there is nothing wrong with just using the one on the column in an S-10 either. Just hook up the cable.
As for tips.... do as much preparation as possible, then plan on the unexpected when you least expect it.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I currently have a manual so I need a shifter If I go to an auto. Is there wiring involved that I should know about the shifter also? Plus where is the cheapest palce to get the wiring harness to add the engine? Plus if its needed I have a 2002 2.2 manual. Is there a book out that has the LT1 swaps in it for the 98+ body? I know of the old book but I dont think it goes into any details of the LT LS motors.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
If you are going from a manual, the only thing you would need to wire in (as far as the shifter) is the neutral safety switch, just pull the wiring from the clutch pedal switch and move it over.
Cheapest place to get a swap harness? Don't know, cheapest would be do it yourself. I know Speed Scene wiring will splice the 2 harnesses together.
Don't know of any other books than JTR.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spped scene? that would hook the required parts from both need together right? Gotta link?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I am not sure how well it works when it is done, but I know they offer to splice it all together.
Ask them to guarantee that the gauges, ABS, and Cruise functions work properly (if you care).
I don't know a link off hand, just do a search for them.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The disadvantage to a stand alone type system is the gauges wont work right?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
depends on how it's done.
Usually a stand alone harness means that the engine will run, and any signals from the computer such as speed oand tach are there, but no other functions that are vehicle specific are put in the harness.
meaning no wiring for the ABS, cruise control, the little lights at the bottom of the gauges that tell what gear you're in, things like that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can use the stock passenger car accessories you just have to knotch the frame. We do that with ours and box the frame back. Once ground down and painted there's no way to tell its not stck and you don't lose any strength. The shifters from the stock auto s-10's will work. Or run a B&M like everyone's saying.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so other than the electroic switch in the shitfer any one will work theres no electronics in the shifter and which b&m? How much do I gotta notch and does anyone know where I can get the vette brackets?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts