S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a misplaced thread but I'll try. This is about a 1994 Corvette I just purchased not about my S10. Hope that's okay.

My 94 has an LT1 and a the computer controlled 4L60E transmission. Everything works great except at wide-open-throttle, the transmission kicks down to first, revs quickly to 6k, then bounces off redline instead of shifting. Even at 95% throttle it shifts fine, so it's only at 100% WOT that has the problem.

I know someone has an answer to this hopefully simple problem. Thanks in advance

·
BodyDropped Member
3,255 Posts
i know that it does it on my 2000 trans am as well, and I have been told, that even under stock horsepower ( mine has 500 rwhp ) that the 4l60e will go right through the 1-2 shift. I was told by my tuner that itll be ok for now, but mine will have to be rebuilt soon. Sounds to me like you are just having the issues a lot of stock 4l60e trannys have..

·
M.F.K.-No 1 rides 4 free
334 Posts
check the TPS it has alot to do with shift points and what not. if you cant find any codes on it then id start checking into mechanical problems. even if the clutches were smoked it should still shift into 2nd. to me it sounds like an electrical problem. i beleive 93 or 94 was the year they switched from 700R4 to 4L60E, so there could of been kinks they hadnt yet worked out. definetely check out the electronics tho.

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
my friends 95 T/A does the same thing, its either the TPS sensor, or the governor in the transmission is worn out

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my friends 95 T/A does the same thing, its either the TPS sensor, or the governor in the transmission is worn out
Sorry for taking so long to get back here. I wasn't getting the instant emails for my own thread!?!?!:rant:

Anyway, I'm still having the problem. I've been told that the electronically controlled transmissions don't actually have a governor as it's been replaced by a some type of electronic thingy. (Sorry if that's too technical for anyone.) I'm not getting any codes from the TPS sensor, but I get a code from the VSS sensor one a week or so. That said however, in the Corvette, if the VSS is going bad, the cruise and the speed will die too. Both are working fine in my car.

Adjusting the TPS is a pain in the butt. If it's worked fine for 13 years, why would it go out of adjustment? Just curious.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh,...finally I think I may have a reasonable solution. Apparently if the shift lever is not adjusted correctly it shifts fine in all gear up to overdrive until you apply WOT. I'm going to try to adjust the shift lever first. I'll let you know what happens if anything.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh,...finally I think I may have a reasonable solution. Apparently if the shift lever is not adjusted correctly it shifts fine in all gear up to overdrive until you apply WOT. I'm going to try to adjust the shift lever first. I'll let you know what happens if anything.
Well that didn't work. Anymore suggestions?

I think I'm going to replace the VSS and flush the transmission just to see what happens.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just got a 94 z28 with the 4L60E and it does the same thing, what are you guys doing to help this out?
Bad news bro! I replaced the fluid and filter, and now its slips at anything over half throttle in every gear. I've concluded that the tranny is just plain worn out. It's got 124k on the odometer so other then the fact that I just bought it, I'm not real surprised it bombed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
most of the time it is in the tune(if your trans is good) this usually only happens after a high stall converter is installed

,, but there is a good chance your trans is bad, the computer is comanding the 1-2 shift but the band is not holding under Wide open throttle

if the trans is good it can be fixed by tuning the ecm, more than likely the trans is bad

·
Registered
366 Posts
well my odom says 150K and the motor was rebuilt at 110K so im guessing my tranny is worn to hell after 150K miles

its also got a B&M shift kit i think and only does it ive knoticed with the kit on

so i guess no more kit

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
,, but there is a good chance your trans is bad, the computer is comanding the 1-2 shift but the band is not holding under Wide open throttle

There is a program you can hook up via a laptop to your car to see if it is indeed telling it to shift. Not too sure what it's called, but maybe someone else can tell you. I think there is also some gadget that doesn't require a laptop that will let you know what a certain parameter is as well. If nobody else responds, I'll see if I can't remember the name before too long.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There is a program you can hook up via a laptop to your car to see if it is indeed telling it to shift. Not too sure what it's called, but maybe someone else can tell you. I think there is also some gadget that doesn't require a laptop that will let you know what a certain parameter is as well. If nobody else responds, I'll see if I can't remember the name before too long.

its called a "Scan Tool", or you can buy a cable and use your laptop with programs like "Datamaster"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts