S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...what all do i have to do to install, let's say, an LT-1, trans, and rear-end out of a Z-28(computer, wiring, etc.) Also do they make a book that tells you step by step how to do it on a 94-97 S-10. Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The rearend would take a LOT of work because it does not have leaf spring mounts.

The computer would most likely require a reprogram to eliminate the theft-key crap unless you also get the BCM (Body Control Module).

The trans crossmember needs to be modified to allow the trans to bolt up. You will also likely have to modify the front frame rail to clear the A/C compressor.

Then there is the exhaust.....

Definitely a worthwhile project, but you will need some basic fab skills (and tools) as well as a strong will.

·
Registered
412 Posts
hahaha, good luck. I droped an LT-1 in my old X and it took forever, almost 3 weeks. Of course there where the ocassional beeer breaks, etc. But a lot of frame modifications and the new wiring harness is a huge pain in the ass. I don't know why you would swap the rear end, unless your running the 2.2 (don't know specs) the 4.3 rear will hold up fine. Its a GM 10 bolt.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can also get a wiring harness from LHT Performance. They specialize in LT1 and LS1 conversions in S-10's as well as many other vehicles.

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i was putting the engine and tranny cause my tranny is slipping, and I'm going to change out the rearends cause it'll mess up the spedo if ya don't...Does LHT have a web site or anything???

·
Registered
128 Posts
www.lhtperformance.net
When they do conversions it allows you to use the factoy instruments, they are just reprogrammed to work with the LT1 instead of the 4.3 or the 2.2 liter. There are also some people on the website that have had them do conversions on their trucks. I believe VetteS10 has some pics of his in the pic post.

·
Registered
133 Posts
to use the exhaust manifolds that come with it, they're tubular i belive, you'll have to modify the frame, other than that, the wiring should give ya some trouble but it definatly can be done

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
first off, you need to buy headers that will wrap around the steering shaft. second, get a HPP III and you can put in any rear end you want, change gears and tire sizes. i have a LT4 in my SS and it purrs like a kitten...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts