S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 S10 4x4 Pickup, Short Bed, 5spd, 4.3ltr V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,I picked up a G80 LSD for next to nothing but it’s 2.73. I need/prefer it to be like a 3.42 or 3.73. Can I just change the ring and pinion on the G80 and still keep 100% functionality of the LSD?

·
Been there Done it
11,188 Posts
What is the LSD out of. Trucks never had that low numerical ratio. Unfortunately G80 was used across the board to denote GM posi of some kind. It could be Govloc, Auburn, Thorsen. Got any pics?
If it's a 7.5/6 carrier you'd need special thick gears to fit. Carrier break is 3.08/3.23 or select thick cut gears to be used on 3.08 down cases for 3.42 or 3.73 ratios. Spline count of the axles varies also. So the side gears may not fit you axles.
If it's 8.5/6 don't believe the ratio of the carrier matters. Just the spline count.
I've found in most cases it's easier just to swap the whole rear end from a Blazer or Bravada that had 3.42 or 3.73.
I just removed a 125K 3.42 G80 complete rear end from my project S10 2wd pickup yesterday. Has all new rear drum brakes. Then I decided to go to 3.73 4wd axle with discs and positive offset C5 wheels. Could be talked into selling it. PM me if interested. Shipping from the midwest to WA could be the deal killer.

Reactions: Gen210

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
follow the advice deer slayer mentioned. for the time and effort, i'd swap in an entire axle that has the correct stuff. Or, an 8.8 for that matter, it'll cost the same, and the 8.8, although requires more work, is a much better upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I used a ring gear spacer back in the day to use an older Auburn style carrier that had 2.73 gears with a set of 3.23 gears. Worked fine and saved me some money, was on a budget. List to these guys above me also. Just gotta weigh out your options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts