S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sheet Metal Master
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found where I can get this motor and it bolts up to a 4L60E, which is what I have. My question is, how well does this tranny hold up? This motor looks to be exactly what I want, but will it last with the trans? Also, what rear would I need to use?

·
Yeah, still on the bottle
201 Posts
4L60E are in 4.3L V6 S-series, and are also used in C4 and C5 corvettes.... so to answer your question, ya it will work with no problem... Rear end, if you have 3:42 or 3:73 will work fine, but make sure you have posi or you won't plant the power down... Open diff's will not cut it with the swap.

3:42 rear end will work best if ya also planning to run nitrous or a blower... ( the transfer of energy is placed well under that gearing)

If all motor, just run the 3:73 that most likely you have already..

I recommend the Aulburn Posi units, I run one and their great units!

·
Registered
62 Posts
VetteS10 said:
4L60E are in 4.3L V6 S-series, and are also used in C4 and C5 corvettes.... so to answer your question, ya it will work with no problem...
:confused: :confused: Hope you're running a scattershield. The 4.3 tranny has the same 90 degree bell housing but isn't as "built-up" as the V8 4L60e. I would stay away from doing this unless you're running a relatively weak V-8.

Stef

·
201 Posts
Are you sure about that?

I know alot of trucks had the swap and doing just fine, plus running way more power than me....

Only thing different is the servo... ats it. The V8 ones just shift more firmer and thats the only differene..

If it was different GM would give it another model number for that unit. Ask any GM engineer that, they will tell ya.

The 4L60E is a very strong tranny....

http://www.netgearhead.com/4l60e.html#differences More info on the trannies....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm beyond sure on this. I know of atleast three people that have done a 4L60e swap using the stock tranny from behind a 4.3. All have had massive failure. What's unusual about this, is that all three failed from different reasons.

Stef

·
201 Posts

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
first off lemme correct ya by saying that the 2.2 also came with the 4L60e. however it is not as strong as the 4.3 unit. second is just that im running a the stock trans behind my LT4 and it is holding up fine, with nothing done to it other than a corvette servo, b&m shift kit, and 2800 stall. lata

dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
stillie750 said:
I'm beyond sure on this. I know of atleast three people that have done a 4L60e swap using the stock tranny from behind a 4.3. All have had massive failure. What's unusual about this, is that all three failed from different reasons.

Stef
The clutch pack on the V6 tranny has less plates and a spacer to compensate for the shorter pack. There are some other differences too, but I do know a V6 tranny can be upgraded to the V8 specs without much trouble during a rebuild.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.