S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a complete '99 camaro Z28 automatic & and a complete 2.2L M5 S10 (1995)

I can just move everything over but what engine mounts do I need? I can have a trans Xmember fabbed but need to know what to do for the engine kmember & mounts. Also, will the gauge cluster hook up to the LS1 wiring or will I need to swap over the Camaro Gauge cluster.

thanks

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
it appears you need to do a little research. not being a dick, but spending some time searching this forum will answer ur questions and many many many more will have in the future, and provide useful information. no u cant swap the clusters, u need to integrate the 2 harnesses which is a real bitch or contact someone like our forum sponsor, Current Performance, for a harness. happy searchings good sir

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have searched, I could not find anything if the f-body (camaro) cluster will work or not.

From what i've read, I think 2.8 V6 mounts work for the LS1?

I have been researching on a LSX site about swaps for awhile now, just not S10 specific

·
Local Tech
5,407 Posts
yes, the 2.8 mounts will work.... i do agree with 91sonomast, cuz u do sound like ur in over ur head a little..... buying the current performance harness would be my first step..... its pricey, but thats what craftsmanship goes for nowadays...... prepare to spend a shitload of money on stuff you didnt anticipate, and dont get rid of the donor car until the truck is running, and all the bugs are worked out................ good luck

btw, how much did u get the donor car for?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i've had the donor car for awhile, paid $1,500 and drove it for awhile (was fully functional, road worthy, etc), but its getting turned into a genI sbc race car.

I dont need a new wiring harness as I will have all the wiring. Anything extra I'll hide behind the glovebox ;)

so 2.8 mounts on the 4cyl kmember will line everything up ok? if so that is simple enough. I didnt want to spend $105 on a kit

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
yeah man, u need at least 2k for random parts and shit, at LEAST 2k

·
Sometimes I'm mean...alot
1,348 Posts
I dont need a new wiring harness as I will have all the wiring.
So far from what I've read...you'd better seriously think about buying that harness.

Tell ya what....from Current Performance's website: http://www.currentperformance.com/s10wir.html and/or read this
1994 and 1995...
Things YOU will need to know...
First and foremost... we only build wiring harnesses for 94-up LT, LS, and Vortec engines. We DO NOT do wiring for TPI or Carburated engines in to any of these trucks.

The trucks that came with a PCM mounted on the overflow bottle under the hood will require both the stock truck computer and the ECM from the engine if you are installing an LT1, but not always with the LS1 engine, if you intend to keep the ABS and Cruise Control. When complete, the stock truck computer will control things like the cruise control, ABS, speedo, etc. The computer for the engine will pretty much just run the engine and control the electric fans. If the computer is mounted under the dash from the factory, than that computer can be completely replaced with the LT1 or LS1 computer and all factory vehicle functions can still be maintained.
The A/C is usually wired directly using the V6 trucks existing Low Pressure switch on the dryer. The 4 cyl trucks will require that a Low Pressure switch be added, the easiest way is to simply swap the 2.2L A/C dryer with that of a 4.3, it will thread right back in to the A/C lines.
Alternatively, you can use the LT1 or LS1 computer to run the A/C which will bump up the idle, and switch the fans on automatically. This method will require the LT1 or LS1 vehicles pressure sensor be installed in the High Pressure side of the A/C lines, and, in the case of the LT1, a temperature sensor would need to be installed in the coil. This way is not used much because of all the extra hassle, and it doesn't really make that big of a difference anyway.
In our custom harness there will be 2 extra relays mounted on the firewall next to the existing 4 that are there now. The existing 4 relays on the 94 & 95 truck control the A/C compressor, blower motor, starter, and 3rd brake light. The extra 2would be the fan relays. All 6 relays will be wired properly in the new harness from Current Performance and simply go right back on to the firewall, the original 4 relays themselves actually stay on the firewall, just simply unplug the connector. The new harness will come with connectors that plug back in to the relays left behind. The 2 additional relays will have brackets to mount them next to the existing 4.
A 2nd Data Link Connector (DLC / ALDL) will be included in the LT1 and LS1 harness. A hole can be drilled and the wires fed through in to the cab, and then the connector can be mounted somewhere inside. Alternatively you can leave the DLC loose in the engine compartment, but anytime a scan tool is plugged in, you will not have direct access from inside the passenger compartment.
The 94-95 trucks can have the tachometer recalibrated for the V8 so they will read properly. Also available is a tachometer recalibration module which can be added in to the harness and will recalibrate the signal from the engine's computer so the stock truck tach will read properly. Of course, you can always use an aftermarket tachometer and avoid any of these extra pieces or hassles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why pay $105 for a kit when you can get 2.8 mounts for $9 each? Unless there is something I am missing (which was the point of me making this question in the first place ;) )

Dont forget I have almost everything I need sitting in a Camaro

i read only 99+ V6 s10's had the same rear end as the fbodys, so i need to find out what i need to do swap the fbody one into the s10

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also the truck does not have abs, cruise, and im ditching the ac

thinking of a way to make the camaro inst cluster fit in the s10 dash, which would make things alot easier

·
SPRAYINLOW
2,148 Posts
you do realize you have to make the s10 and the ls1 wiring harness into one integrated unit, you keep saying that you have done research but you need to do more or else this build will be severely unsuccessful... im not trying to be a dick but i am trying to save you money and time

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
or else you will be working out kinks constantly

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why pay $105 for a kit when you can get 2.8 mounts for $9 each? Unless there is something I am missing (which was the point of me making this question in the first place ;) )

Dont forget I have almost everything I need sitting in a Camaro

i read only 99+ V6 s10's had the same rear end as the fbodys, so i need to find out what i need to do swap the fbody one into the s10
the 2.8 mounts are the lowers, you need lsx s10 swap uppers as well. (thats where the $105 come from) as far as the cluster goes, i havent heard of anyone using a camaro cluster. the easy way to get your cluster to work would be to buy a current performance wiring harness from http://www.currentperformance.com/

·
Need LSx swap.....
4,300 Posts
No need to try and get the Camaro cluster to fit in the truck, the harness from Current Performance will allow your stock cluster to work just fine. Also, no need to use the rear end from the Camaro, its basically the same as the one you have, just setup for a different suspension. Just because it's in or from the donor car doesnt mean you have to use it, or will even work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no need for a $1000 wiring harness. I have all the wires I need and diagrams to re-wire mine if needed.

all i need right now is information on the mounts, so I can make my own, it looks like all they are is plates that move the engine further away from the firewall?

·
STROKED LS1 S10,520 HP
50 Posts
no need for a $1000 wiring harness. I have all the wires I need and diagrams to re-wire mine if needed.

all i need right now is information on the mounts, so I can make my own, it looks like all they are is plates that move the engine further away from the firewall?
On the mounts if you take your time it should work. If you are planing on doing this swap you should have the knowhow to make your own with out a blueprint just look at some pics of things other used and go from there. But on the harness you may want to plan on spending the money on cpw harness just in case. You will have to modify the harness no matter what for anything to work. I don't know how you are with electrical but most people try it themselves and then go to jarred anyways, so you may want to go straight to him first and save you the time and hassle. Just my 2 cents.:)

·
WTF!!!!
261 Posts
i tried to do the same thing on mine just work around it and make it work. i took a look at my swap at the time and everything looked like crap and i just thought this isn't what i wanted for my swap. i wanted to be able to pop the hood and be proud of what was under there not have everyone self included thinking that it was a hackjob swap. thats why i'm still not done with mine i figured no sense doing it at all if i wasn't gonna do it right

1 - 20 of 24 Posts