S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched all over the net and also here to end up empty handed.

I have a 2.2l 4 banger that I want to upgrade the injectors in for a decent price. Would these happen to be a straight up swap? Will I need to tune? Any better alternatives to get to 24#? Seipower/cavalier world was selling Delphi 24.5# units but he is no longer in operation right now and I can't find them anywhere. Thanks.

·
time to get cereal
4,641 Posts
What have you done to the engine that would warrant bigger injectors? You didn't say what year yours was but the flex fuel injectors are the easiest upgrade.

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I thought I put that in there. It's a 1999 non flex fuel model.

Mods consist of Intake, tb spacer, header, less restrictive cat, 2.5" magnaflow catback exhaust, plugs, wires, ignition coils, efan, jet stage 2 (deal I couldn't pass up).

Thinking about a quantum 340 fuel pump and hptuners before possibly trying an amr500 supercharger setup on most likely 5psi.

Is there a thread on the non flex injectors? I would have to change the rail wouldn't I? Thanks Manbearpig

·
time to get cereal
4,641 Posts
I don't think you've done any mods that are going to max out your stock injectors, especially since you haven't tuned it yet. I would wait until you've supercharged it and tuned it to see what you'll need for injectors. Bigger injectors alone aren't going to do you much good.

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you've done any mods that are going to max out your stock injectors, especially since you haven't tuned it yet. I would wait until you've supercharged it and tuned it to see what you'll need for injectors. Bigger injectors alone aren't going to do you much good.
Cool, thanks. I'll do that. Do you have any experience with the blend door vacuum line for the HVAC?

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The blend door is electric on your truck.
I have a deteriorated 1/4" sized hose that was in the driver's side fender that went to a small circular junction before it went through the fender wall inside the cab. Online and in the manuals all I can find is that it's a blend door hose. I'll try to get a picture later today.

·
time to get cereal
4,641 Posts
That's for the vacuum reservoir that is in the fender. It stores some vacuum so the HVAC system doesn't run out of vacuum at wide open throttle. It doesn't affect the blend door, without it you probably won't get more than defrost though. The "junction" is a check valve, that needs to be there. If it is missing, you probably have a vacuum leak which means your engine is probably not running its best.

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's for the vacuum reservoir that is in the fender. It stores some vacuum so the HVAC system doesn't run out of vacuum at wide open throttle. It doesn't affect the blend door, without it you probably won't get more than defrost though. The "junction" is a check valve, that needs to be there. If it is missing, you probably have a vacuum leak which means your engine is probably not running its best.
That makes a lot of sense now. I could hug you. Now I just need to remember to take a pic later.

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually had an old pic in my phone. When I noticed the line was deteriorating I picked it up to inspect and that's when it broke into pieces. I have no idea where it connects in the cab. My manual doesn't say anything about it. Any help is appreciated because I would like to hook it back up so air isn't blowing out of all vents and the truck runs better lol.
Screenshot_20200922-122612_Drive.jpg

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,732 Posts
One of the hoses connects to a hard plastic line that goes thru the firewall.

·
time to get cereal
4,641 Posts
It's bundled with the wire harness. Should be poking out of it.

·
time to get cereal
4,641 Posts
One end goes to the throttle body, the other end goes to the reservoir in the fender.

·
Registered
2000 2.2l sonoma Brand new motor
248 Posts
I've searched all over the net and also here to end up empty handed.

I have a 2.2l 4 banger that I want to upgrade the injectors in for a decent price. Would these happen to be a straight up swap? Will I need to tune? Any better alternatives to get to 24#? Seipower/cavalier world was selling Delphi 24.5# units but he is no longer in operation right now and I can't find them anywhere. Thanks.
Trust me, unless you are going to boost the tutu you do not need bigger injectors, and if you do get them you will most likely need a tune afterwards as well. With the mods you have done i would not do it, seems like a good way to get less gas mileage lol

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trust me, unless you are going to boost the tutu you do not need bigger injectors, and if you do get them you will most likely need a tune afterwards as well. With the mods you have done i would not do it, seems like a good way to get less gas mileage lol
Thanks for the info. If I did boost it what injector swap do you think I should go with?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the info. If I did boost it what injector swap do you think I should go with?
I run 42lb injectors with a walbro 255. combo should be good for up to 400whp. To be honest that is a little overkill but i want to build the motor here soon and 400whp is my goal. 350whp is what i would settle for. Look in some of the other turbo build threads for injector sizes and prices. mine clipped right in to the stock fuel rail. Look up the build by ACLEANMACHINE. I bought his old kit when he v8 swapped the motor. Also, if you boost it and it is literally anything other than a junkyard motor, i recommend injectors and fuel pump over an fmu. i have had enough trouble with fueling as it is. These motors are good for 10psi on stock block with injectors, fuel pump, and tune. if you add methanol they can hit 12 safely or spike to 14psi. i daily mine on 8psi.

Reactions: Badvibe1117

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I run 42lb injectors with a walbro 255. combo should be good for up to 400whp. To be honest that is a little overkill but i want to build the motor here soon and 400whp is my goal. 350whp is what i would settle for. Look in some of the other turbo build threads for injector sizes and prices. mine clipped right in to the stock fuel rail. Look up the build by ACLEANMACHINE. I bought his old kit when he v8 swapped the motor. Also, if you boost it and it is literally anything other than a junkyard motor, i recommend injectors and fuel pump over an fmu. i have had enough trouble with fueling as it is. These motors are good for 10psi on stock block with injectors, fuel pump, and tune. if you add methanol they can hit 12 safely or spike to 14psi. i daily mine on 8psi.
What did you tune with? Thanks. I was interested in a amr500 Supercharger setup like Trev.

·
Registered
248 Posts
What did you tune with? Thanks. I was interested in a amr500 Supercharger setup like Trev.
My tune right now came with the kit i bought from ACLEANMACHINE, but i believe he used hp tuners and datalogging for a street tune. took him 10 hours or so. Also, i will say, that amr500 setup will not make much power, i watched his video and when he tried to run more than 5psi the supercharger overheated, they are technically too small for our motors. It will work but like i said, the amr500 is small and will not make much power. Turbo setup costs more, but these motors can handle quite a bit of boost for what they are. i had a leak on mine when i was running it at the track. it spiked to 14psi. no damage to the engine or anything. With a turbo at 8 psi you should be making around 200whp. with an amr500 at the maximum boost which i believe is 5psi. You may make 140whp at most. It is all personal preference, but if you want some good power i recommend the turbo. or a bigger supercharger than the amr500

In the title of his video he said 120whp. if you watch it you can see that it does not make much power. Oh, and correction, the amr500 maxes out at 6psi before overheating.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts