S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears my 98 stepside has the Z83 suspension with the 2.2 engine. I don't wont to lower it because I'm using the cpw swap pan and I want to keep sufficient road clearance. I thought that since it has the 2.2 I might need heavier coils, but the AC Delco 45HO320 is listed for both the 2.2 and 4.3 engine, so the 2.2 springs that are installed should be ok. Anyone disagree or have a suggestion?

·
Administrator
22,303 Posts
If you're not hung up on having the Holley name on it, you can save some money....

·
Been there Done it
7,525 Posts
I thought that was the pan everyone complains about hanging below the crossmember??
Since I'll be using a 4wd w/o the front diff, I'm hoping to get away with the OEM Escalade truck pan.
Because of the road quality in the salt belt I'm hoping to only go as low as a stock 2wd. Really need the suspension travel.

Truck pan:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
ODS can you modify that pic and label all 3?
Thats a very nice side by side comparison
Maybe include it in the oil pan stickie

I thought the CPW pan was nothing more than the Hummer H3(AKA GM muscle car pan)

·
Been there Done it
7,525 Posts
Would love to if anybody knows for sure what the other 2 pans are. I just posted it to show how deep the truck pan is. AFAIK it's 2-3 inches deeper than all others at 8.5" deep.
I'm pretty sure you are right about the CPW pan. There are better choices out there for ground clearance.
That H3 "muscle car" pan is available at most speed shops $65 less than CPW is asking. Jegs, Summit, Speedway...

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
The LS2 Corvette pan is the shortest that I could find at 5 inches but it's one of the priciest. You'll end up spending $400 to $500 or more, buying it new, until you get all the pieces and it's hard finding them used. It also has a fairly long sump, so if you're doing a 2WD, you'll definitely have to trim the top of the crossmember but at least none of the pan will be below it

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would love to if anybody knows for sure what the other 2 pans are. I just posted it to show how deep the truck pan is. AFAIK it's 2-3 inches deeper than all others at 8.5" deep.
I'm pretty sure you are right about the CPW pan. There are better choices out there for ground clearance.
That H3 "muscle car" pan is available at most speed shops $65 less than CPW is asking. Jegs, Summit, Speedway...
The muscle car / Hummer oil pan is $232 at Summit, $235 at CPW where'd you get those prices?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Hummer pan isn't a problem if your not dropping your S10 or at least that's what I've been reading.

·
Randy
298 Posts
I got my GM muscle car pan from a local speed shop for $199.00. I haven't even opened the box to fondle it yet...

·
Randy
298 Posts
It appears my 98 stepside has the Z83 suspension with the 2.2 engine. I don't wont to lower it because I'm using the cpw swap pan and I want to keep sufficient road clearance. I thought that since it has the 2.2 I might need heavier coils, but the AC Delco 45HO320 is listed for both the 2.2 and 4.3 engine, so the 2.2 springs that are installed should be ok. Anyone disagree or have a suggestion?
back to the original post and question...
For the record:
on 2nd gen s10/blazers 2WD with std. suspension or non ZQ8 suspension. There is only has 1 coil spring set. moog # 80994 whether it is a 2.2L or V-6. These springs also have the biggest rate 1031 load with 744 lbs. per inch of deflection.
The ZQ8 suspension have the V-6 spring, moog [email protected] 860 load with 590 lbs. per inch of deflection. Then there is the ZQ8 suspension with a 2.2L moog, part # 80998 @730 load with 472 lbs. per inch of deflection.
Personally I wanted a stiffer front suspension with the V-8 and put in the 80994 springs for the std. suspension in my ZQ8 equipped 2000 S10 2.2L...

·
Registered
85 Posts
ODS can you modify that pic and label all 3?
Thats a very nice side by side comparison
Maybe include it in the oil pan stickie

I thought the CPW pan was nothing more than the Hummer H3(AKA GM muscle car pan)
Not 100% sure but I think the middle pan is the F body pan and far left is one of the Holleys
Just look at the front part of the sump and compare with the Holley pictures and tell which one.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 80994 is the one I'll go with if I need need new coils, I have the Z83 suspension, it should work well with the L33. Just adding Bilsten shocks and ZQ8 sway bars.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just remember sway bars and shocks have nothing to do with ride height
Yeah, I know, just won't improve handling,my ride height is fine. Considering the LS1 brakes and ZQ8 steering box, I have the parts laying around already.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,800 Posts
I thought that was the pan everyone complains about hanging below the crossmember??
Since I'll be using a 4wd w/o the front diff, I'm hoping to get away with the OEM Escalade truck pan.
Because of the road quality in the salt belt I'm hoping to only go as low as a stock 2wd. Really need the suspension travel.

View attachment 336249

Truck pan:

View attachment 336250
Please add labels and P/N's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts