S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are several videos online for building a stand alone harness, just wondering which one you thought was easiest to follow. I have a 98 S10 side-step with the original ecm and a 2005 L33 5.3 with the original ecm. I will most likely get an integrated harness from CPW but would like to be able to crank and run my engine for test purposes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
To my knowledge all the pink wires in the harness need 12v to run. All the extra misc sensors and connectors not being used can be taped up or completely de-pinned and removed from harness all together for a cleaner more simple set up. I would go with the CPW harness just for ease of install and reliability. I have personally seen a great LS swap go south because of interment electrical gremlins causing run-ability problems.

Edit: Here is an example of how basic (and backyard mechanic) you can make it.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
reds battery unswitched
pinks switched
blacks ground(sometimes white/black stripe,sometimes black/white stripe)

each wire needs to be addressed,dont just wholesale connect.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
reds battery unswitched
pinks switched
blacks ground(sometimes white/black stripe,sometimes black/white stripe)

each wire needs to be addressed,dont just wholesale connect.
Orange = Battery switched on a lot of GM harnesses.
Personally, I'd just buy an Ebay stand alone harness for cheap

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have done stand alone harness . Some work fine some dont .like ken said them gremlins .Your harness is already 15-16 years old . MY 2003 i bought CPW HARNESS .glad i did it was like they had my truck there fitted perfect..

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will buy a fully integrated harness from CPW, I want to put something together to crank engine and do some testing etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts