S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured this would be a good time to start my build thread so here we go.

I have wanted a vehicle to thrash on or take to the track for awhile and I have always loved pro-touring trucks. The issue with trucks is I am not the biggest guy so I knew I needed something on the smaller side. I stumbled across an instagram page owned by Kevin Phillips @kevbot_953. He built a 1st gen S10 powered by a 5.3 LS, T56, Ford 9in, full coilovers, and runs 335/30/18 tires on all four corners that he runs at Global Time Attack and USCA events just to name a few. This is when I decided that an S10 was the way to go. Long story short I picked up the foundation for my build, a 1998 S10 single cab short bed with no powertrain and no bells or whistles for $300 in Thousand Palms, CA. I haven't made much progress so I am going to lay out the plan and parts here and show you guys my progress as time goes on!

Engine: LQ4 iron block, stock bottom end, H3 Alpha oil pan, Stock heads, Texas Speed low lift stage 4 cam, Comp Cams LS6 springs, Comp Cams Trunnion Kit, Stock truck intake, 92mm Throttle body, ARP bolts everywhere, HPI harness with 0411 blue/red computer, LSX power tuning tune

Transmission: TH400, Hays 2800-3200 3/4 Race torque converter, Trans Go pro shift kit, sidewinder shifter

Rear end: Shortened Ford 8.8 axle, 31 spline axle shafts, 3.55 posi

Fuel System: Quantum Fuel 255 lph in-tank pump, Quantum Fuel C5 filter/regulator, 50lb EV6 injectors

Front Suspension & Steering: Belltech lowering springs, 33mm Blazer sway bar with energy bushings and links, Ridetech taller ball joints, heavy duty no name shocks, Stock steering parts and gear, Hooker steering shaft to eliminate rag joint, Blazer spindles with Stoptech hub assembly

Front Brakes: Blazer dual piston calipers, performance Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors, Stoptech Pads

Rear Suspension: Belltech Lowering leaf springs, KYB shocks, ZQ8 sway bar, Cal trac bars

Rear Brakes: Ford 8.8 disc brake conversion

Wheels & Tires: Rocket Racing Wheel Rocket Attack 18x11 5.00" backspace on Falken RT615k+ 315/30/18 tires

Interior: Blazer Tachometer, NRG steering wheel, NRG seats, Crow Enterprizes Harnesses, Harness Bar

Exhaust: ICT exhaust manifolds, Black Widow Neighborhater muffler, bed side exhaust

Any questions or input feel free to DM!! I've attached a little rendering below.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good plan you got there. Couple things I would change, but that’s my own opinion. Like to see how this goes. First thing I’d probably do is pull the cab off the frame and start reinforcing and cross bracing. The 9” is over kill and heavy, but I’m a fan of them because of the formed housing and not a cast center like the gm axles. Why is this important? Much easier to fabe a triangulated 4 link off a 9 inch.. also, even easier to attach a watts link.

Keep us posted, we love to see build pics. I’ve been in Iraq since aug, so I’m getting itchy to get back to fab work again..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a pretty good plan you got there. Couple things I would change, but that’s my own opinion. Like to see how this goes. First thing I’d probably do is pull the cab off the frame and start reinforcing and cross bracing. The 9” is over kill and heavy, but I’m a fan of them because of the formed housing and not a cast center like the gm axles. Why is this important? Much easier to fabe a triangulated 4 link off a 9 inch.. also, even easier to attach a watts link.

Keep us posted, we love to see build pics. I’ve been in Iraq since aug, so I’m getting itchy to get back to fab work again..
A lot of this is being done on a budget so even I’m right there with you with wanting to change things but it’s a start. I got the rear end for free from a friend so I figured why not use it. I know I’ll turn the stock rear end into shrapnel on the first pull so I said screw it. It’s going to be fun and that’s all I care about really lol but I’ll definitely post pics as progress is made. Thanks for the response and thank you for your service

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome - sounds like you have quite a plan, not budget friendly. Two things I would like to suggest is go with a complete Cal Trax system and think about bolt in nine inch rear end, buy the time you get the 8.8 shortened and buy axles you will have quite a bit in it.

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
I didn't know ICT made manifolds, thought they just had the bolt kits?
I have heard that the Belltech lowering leafs are a bit too soft for racing.
Same on the front. you'd be better off with dropped spindles so you retain spring travel. Especially with an iron block and TH400's weight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome - sounds like you have quite a plan, not budget friendly. Two things I would like to suggest is go with a complete Cal Trax system and think about bolt in nine inch rear end, buy the time you get the 8.8 shortened and buy axles you will have quite a bit in it.
the secret is I’ve gotten a lot of stuff at a real score of a deal lol the 6.0 and 8.8 were free from a friend. TH400 was a rebuilt unit for $300. Ive got a local guy that’s gunna shorten the housing and provide the axles for $600. It’s really just a starting point so I can start driving it

·
Registered
409 Posts
You can order a nine inch axles and housing package for just over $600.00 bolt in w/ your choice of spines and ends. Nine in stuff is reasonable and plentiful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been awhile since I’ve posted on here. Had to make some changes along the way but she runs. Went with coilover front suspension instead of the lowering springs. Bought a custom Ford 9” and running 295/40/18 on 18x10 all 4 corners. Dash is being run off an iPad through an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter. Running corbeau forza seats with a violante steering wheel. Radiator is an aluminum unit with dual fans I got off eBay.

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
No parking brake?

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
Sounds like you got it under control.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Super sweet build you have goin on🤙