S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the lowering thing.

Now, when you lower a truck do you have to get it re-alignded?

Is it dangerous to switch you coils? how is it done, and I hear it takes about 2 hours per side.

How short after you do a drop should you get an alignment?

Today I put just 3 inch blocks in the rear, cause I need some help with the coils, but will i need to align it with just a rear drop?

How fast does your tread wear?

Thanks for any help. It is very appreciated!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
spindles up front....give you a better ride and its pretty easy.. and yes an alignment is needed.

·
Never Finished
1,599 Posts
An alignment is necessary any time ride height is changed at any corner or axle. If you've just got the 3" blocks in the rear, you don't want to drive it much without dropping the front and having it aligned. With that much of a drop, your front in is WAY out of alignment..hurry up and do the front. Coils aren't too hard...they're easier than spindles. Shouldn't take 2 hours per side unless you're really slow or you run into lots of problems, like ball joints not coming loose, but you should be alright.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a hard part to coils?

or does it just take time?

To get the coils in place do you have to jack them in? Some people say a compressor.

·
EX-Minitrucker
3,978 Posts
Xtreme03 said:
An alignment is necessary any time ride height is changed at any corner or axle.
Not for the rear though unless you royally screw something up when you install your blocks.

There is a how-to install thread for coils under the "How-to" section" that will answer most of your questions.

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
You do need a front end alignment after lowering the front. It just depends on the truck on how fast the tread will wear out. One of my buddies' trucks I did the tread wore out all the way to the wires on brand new tires after about 50 miles. Another buddies' truck lasted about 4,000 miles. Either way an alignment costs less than two new tires.

As for installing the coils, after you get the front jacked up and get everything unbolted, and get the balljoint seperated then you can slide the old coil out and the new one in. You don't have to compress them or anything to install them.

Also if you are doing 3" coils and 3" blocks plan on a couple things. First of all you are in for one of the roughest rides you have ever been in. Also the rear of your truck will probably sit a little higher than the front. If you need any help on installing any of the components send me a PM. I have done several trucks in the past. First truck I did took about 7 hours to do. Now however I can do the whole thing in just a couple hours.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright i took out the rear 3 inch blocks.

so i am back to stock height.

I think i will do the coils within a week. Ill get a couple of my friends to help me.

Thanks for all the info.

since i went back to stock height do i have to align it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kewl thanks!

I already got the installer, but we just need to set up a time.

Now, can he install the front coils, and then I drive it home 2 miles, then put in the rear blocks, then go to the aignment shop?

·
SVT Cobra Moderator
16,020 Posts
yes you will be fine i drove for 3 days without allignment just test the steering where there is no traffic and youll be fine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts