S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am finishing up my ls1 swap in my 92 sonoma gt and I realized that because the ls1 is a lighter than the original 4.3 the front end needs to be lowered. i want the 3/4 inch lower look but i dont know if it will be level due to the less weight in the front? any advice on what lowering kit i should go with. it going to be a Daily driver so i cant have it to low. any pics of lower first gens with lsx swap?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i understand how much it needs lowered. buy due to the lighter engine im sure if u buy a 3 inch drop kit for the front it will not lower it 3 inches due to the fact that they compinsate for spring compression when they sell the drop kit for the truck with the original 4.3. for example if i want it dropped 3 inches i was thinking i would have to get the 4 inch drop to make it actually drop 3 inches. the engine also sets back farther in the engine bay than the stock which also moves weight off the front springs.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i am finishing up my ls1 swap in my 92 sonoma gt and I realized that because the ls1 is a lighter than the original 4.3 the front end needs to be lowered. i want the 3/4 inch lower look but i dont know if it will be level due to the less weight in the front? any advice on what lowering kit i should go with. it going to be a Daily driver so i cant have it to low. any pics of lower first gens with lsx swap?

Forgive me as it has been a few years. But here is a picture of my ls1 swapped sonoma gt from awhile ago. I want to say that at this time I was running 4 inch blocks in the rear and 2 inch drop spindles with 1 inch springs in the front. At the time I took this picture, I was still daily driving my truck and I remember the ride height being pretty easy to contend with.

Since I no longer daily my truck it sits lower than it used to with larger wheels. You can see how it currently sits in my sig pic. I can post more pics if you want.

PS...If you are able to, you should post some pics of your truck. I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome, thanks man, the way your truck used to set is what im kinda going for due to the roads around here. i would like it lower but fear damage to the truck. what drop do u have on it in the newest pics? your truck is hands down the best looking GT i have ever seen and it is what gave me inspiration to do mine. ill get some build pics posted shortly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Truck looks great! I like the color scheme you have going. A/C dryer looks good in black also. I keep going back and forth on mine. Some days I want to polish it, others I want to paint it. I had to laugh at the broken window wiper motor cover. Mine was broken in an almost identical way when we put the motor in. I think the head smashed it.:haha:

What are the specs on your engine?

Thanks for the compliments on my truck. My dad and I both have way too much time and effort put into it....and I have way to much money in it. So it is nice to know it at least looks good.:rotf:

As for the current ride height situation. I'm honestly not sure how much lower my truck sits now compared to when it was stock or even lowered in the pic above. I run adjustable QA1's in the front and rear. Still have 2 inch drop spindles up front. The ladder bar rear end also has height adjustment and it is sitting about as low as possible.

What I can tell you is the truck is realistically sitting as low as possible without dragging over speed bumps. Normally, there is only 3.5 inches of clearance between the ground and the bottom of the front cross-member if that gives you an idea.

-Taylor

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i had polished the dryer befor i decided to paint it. i put the decal on it and put about 15 coats of clear on it so the sweat wouldnt effect the paint or decal.lol yea the window motor was hit in the removal of the engine. havnt got around to fixing it yet. the ls1 is out of a 02 ws6 and it is completly stock as of now. it has 18k on it. in the future i wanna turbo or supercharge it .cant make up my mind. but i hope to have the truck on the road by this saturday.
what all do u have done to ur ls1 other than the kenne bell. have u had it on a dyno

·
Registered
290 Posts
yea i had polished the dryer befor i decided to paint it. i put the decal on it and put about 15 coats of clear on it so the sweat wouldnt effect the paint or decal.lol yea the window motor was hit in the removal of the engine. havnt got around to fixing it yet. the ls1 is out of a 02 ws6 and it is completly stock as of now. it has 18k on it. in the future i wanna turbo or supercharge it .cant make up my mind. but i hope to have the truck on the road by this saturday.
what all do u have done to ur ls1 other than the kenne bell. have u had it on a dyno
Cool. You will have to post a video when you get it running. What do you have for an exhaust set-up? Good luck getting it done Saturday though! I'll cross my fingers for ya!

My ls1 doesn't have a lot done to it. Internally it is completely stock other than upgraded valve springs. Aside from the Kenne Bell supercharger and the valve springs, the only other real performance engine mods are the 85mm maf, 95mm throttle body, long tube headers, 3 inch dual exhaust, and methanol injection. I thought about throwing a blower cam in the motor while we did the supercharger install, but have since decided to skip the internal work on the stock displacement ls1 and just go straight for a 402.:rotf:

As for having it on a dyno, it should be getting dyno tuned in a week or two. We are still finalizing the blower install at the moment. Planning to try and start it this weekend for the first time with the supercharger on it. So well see how it goes. I'm hoping it puts down about 500 at the wheels on a conservative 7psi. Don't want push the internals too hard while I'm still in college. Can't really afford a new motor at the moment.:haha:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea this saturday isnt goin to happin i cant get it in the shop till mid next week for the exhaust and tranny brace so im goin for next sat. for now i am doin a straight 3.5 inch magnaflow setup... once i build more power im going to upgrade to the 4 inch and some form of boost. im still in college as well but have many plans for it when i graduate next year.
i think 500 is a very realistic goal and reliable.. let us know how the dyno run goes ill keep everyone posted on mine as well as update the pics soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts