S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 01 S10 ext cab with a 3-4 drop (spindles and 1" coil up front). I've gone through 2 lower ball joints on the passenger side in 3 months.

The problem is that the castle nut keeps coming loose. Both times the brand new cotter pin was sheered and the castle nut comes loose. The first time I found out by the threads on the bj giving way and the lca dropping to the ground. This last time I noticed sooner because the nut backed off enough to cause the rim (stock 15s) would contact the spindle on hard turns. The threads looked fine, but I replaced the bj just incase.

Anyone have an idea as to why this is happening?

I was thinking maybe hole in the spindle isn't true to the bj and there's enough play to cause the nut to back off...but I'm just guessing.

·
Bobby B!!!
320 Posts
not torqueing it down right is the only thing i can think of. i dont have that problem with my 5/6 drop. are you just hand tightening it or what?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
not torqueing it down right is the only thing i can think of. i dont have that problem with my 5/6 drop. are you just hand tightening it or what?
Ha...nah, but I've never put a torque wrench on one before to measure how much. I've always just gotten them nice and tight without being excessive and then line up the hole for the cotter pin.

I've had 3 different drops on this now. First a 5/6 but I couldn't drive it over the speed bumps on my street, then I went with a 4/5 and was like that for at least 5 years with no issues. Just within the last 3 months I raised it up another inch to a 3/4 because I was tired of scraping coming in and 3 months ago was the first time I've ever encountered a castle nut backing off, now to have it happen again has got me worried.

·
Bobby B!!!
320 Posts
when your lining up the hole are you backing the nut off to align it? if so thats a big no no and thats what is doing it. tighten it up a bit more when lining them up

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts
Lower ball joint to steering knuckle, 79 ft. lbs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when your lining up the hole are you backing the nut off to align it? if so thats a big no no and thats what is doing it. tighten it up a bit more when lining them up
I can't say 100% sure I didn't the 1st time, but I know for a fact the 2nd time I tightened it to line it up and it still backed off.

@jtcfanof3...thanks for the torque spec. I'll put a wrench on it tonight to see where I'm at. Is the upper bj the same spec?

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Something your doing is wrong. I mean I've never seen a sheered cotter key and castle nut come off the rotor head of our helicopters.

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts
Upper is 61 ft. lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.