S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Always under construction
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my truck into the auto department today and had it looked at by one of the teachers that knows S10's/Chevy's well because I knew it needed an alignment bad(steering wheel facing left and truck pulling right hard), and he said that he couldn't even align it because the lower ball joints are f**ked and so is the steering linkage, shocks and bumps. My truck is 4/5 dropped, but I'm going to be bringing it back up to stock height sometime soon cuz I'm tired of the problems of a lowered truck.

So my questions are:

1: How long will the ball joints from Autozone hold up for? I don't do any hard driving, and since it will be stock height soon, I'm assuming lca's not slamming the frame will help alot.

2: My truck is a 2.2L, but I've heard the MOOG 5664 coil springs are almost the same as the stock springs from a 4.3L, and will work fine on the 2.2L and give it a 1" lift because of the higher spring rate made for the heavier motor. Is this true? If so, I'll hopefully be able to find some 4.3 stock ones at pick-a-part, if not there, than just buy the MOOG's online for $60.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
use moog ball joints if you plan on keeping the truck

normally the lower ones are fine and its the upper ones that are shot(on the 2wd trucks anyways), so thats kinda odd hmm..

spring rate isnt going to specifically guarantee any ride height

trucks weigh differently truck to truck and theres many possible variables

compressed height depends on how much weight is on it and it goes on and on

really a gamble and nothings gonna be for sure until they are installed

a stronger spring willl make for a harder ride also. and will compress no as easily, which is the concept for needing to be able to haul more weight, but when unloaded will ride harder.

so keep that in mind

4.3L springs would be dirt common.

4.3L been around for a long time, also G body springs would be same and there are v-8 ones, and other cars too,(these trucks have 78-up G body front end, monte, cutlass, regal, grand prix and others)

so.....

if you want stock height then you would want stock springs and etc.,

pretty simple.

·
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I thought the same about the upper ball joints, but he said the bottom ones were destroyed and that's what he wrote on the work order. Haha. And I know the ride height will be dependent on weight, but I want the stiffer springs and assuming the lower weight of the 4 banger will make the front end not sit lower like it usually does stock. Plus for the back, I guess I could just do stock leafs with a 1" block for now so it will sit just a little lower in back.

·
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I'm a little bit iffy about buying springs online, plus I'm never home so I'll probably miss when they're delivered. So will the Duralast 5662 springs(same as MOOG) go right in without any problems? These are being put into a stock suspension.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts