S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I need advice on how to get heat in my 2000 S10 truck. It's a 2.2L engine. Let me start with what all I've done to it.

The radiator was half empty, so I filled it up. That got me some heat, but the water temperature wasn't going over about 150-160. I replaced the thermostat with a new 195 winter thermostat, and then the water temperature wouldn't go over 130. I read somewhere that there could be air trapped in the system, so I pointed the truck uphill and let it run with the radiator cap off for about a half hour, refilling the radiator whenever it would belch out some fluid. Still wasn't going over 130. So I figured to get the air out of the system, I would take out the thermostat altogether so the water could flow and work out the air. I let it run for a half hour and figured it would be fixed. I put the thermostat back in and temperature still isn't going over 120. The temp gauge isn't lying because it's not producing any heat. The heater core isn't plugged up, because when I started this whole thing a week or so ago I did have some heat, back when it was running 150 degrees. Anyway, I'm at my wit's end with it. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,645 Posts
Moved to Heating/Airconditioning.

Well...now that you've done everything but stick a pin in a voodoo truck, or an exorcism, Go get a Prestone Flush and Fill Kit and quit messing around with it... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the same sort of issues with my 2000 2.2 here in Central Florida. I have been down the roads that you describe and I still don't get anything over 140 in our cool fall weather. My heater core is bad so I just use an electric heater in the cab when required. The only time the engine ever gets up to what I would call temperature, around 200 degrees, is when it's 95 degrees out and I'm running the air conditioner. Do some searching in this forum and you'll find that it's a common problem if you want to call running cool a problem. I agree with the previous poster that you should probably get a Prestone flush kit and make sure that that heater core isn't plugged up. And for what it's worth I'd stick with the stock thermostat 195 degrees.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,125 Posts
scan tool- check what BOTH temp sensors are reading.IF they both are showing cold- engine will be extremely rich and cool temp-if so after your normal warm up- change the bad sensor and try again- this is AFTER you have flushed your system and refilled with correct mix of antifreeze/water.

·
Been there Done it
8,611 Posts
Have you tried sticking some cardboard in front of the rad to see if it'll heat up?

Reactions: nstoolman1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts