S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, well i am new to the lowering trend, i have a 1985 s10 which i installed a set of 3" lowering blocks. the problem i have is that i still want a better lowering stands i did not do anything to the front but was going to cut the springs because of funds. anyways i was told that i can remove like two leafs from the rear to lower it more. is this ok to do and if so which ones. now remember. i don't have the big bucks alot of you bigdogs do and please save me the smart remarks. just asking for a little help. this is my truck.

·
Eric
2,926 Posts
Sure, just go ahead and hack off 3 coils and pull out all but one leaf...Stock shocks will work fine with that setup. (Don't do this)

Smart remarks aside, there are 2 ways to drop the front and maintain quality and safety without completely emptying the bank.
-2" Spindles will run you about $160 new.
-3" Coils will run you about $100 new with $60 for new shocks (a must).
As for the rear, I've never pulled leafs so I can't give you advice on that one. There are threads all over the place about that though...read up.

You gotta pay to play man, if you aren't willing to pay then you jeopardize your own life by taking the cheap/"easy" way out.
I've been working on my 5/6 drop for about 2+ years now...when I have the money something comes up...shit takes time.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,795 Posts
If you are going to cut front springs, you do not want to go more than about 2" in the front. Look around for some used 2" spindles, cut a coil, then see how it sits.

42,004 Posts
Sure, just go ahead and hack off 3 coils and pull out all but one leaf...Stock shocks will work fine with that setup. (Don't do this)

Smart remarks aside, there are 2 ways to drop the front and maintain quality and safety without completely emptying the bank.
-2" Spindles will run you about $160 new.
-3" Coils will run you about $100 new with $60 for new shocks (a must).
As for the rear, I've never pulled leafs so I can't give you advice on that one. There are threads all over the place about that though...read up.

You gotta pay to play man, if you aren't willing to pay then you jeopardize your own life by taking the cheap/"easy" way out.
I've been working on my 5/6 drop for about 2+ years now...when I have the money something comes up...shit takes time.
i agree with this 100%
removing a leaf will get you another 1.5''-2'' in the back. do it the right way the first time or compromise ride,handling and safety.

·
Under Construcktion!
372 Posts
hell.. heat the coils and flip the leaf springs! haha :blaugh: :p

na just keep an eye out in the classifieds and on craigslist, these trucks are common enough that you will probably find a bargin on the coils and shocks. you might even find you a great price on spindles instead. i paid 120 for the spindles and i want to say 80 on nitro drop shocks 2. the coils cant be but around that far off 60

·
Backyard Special
1,344 Posts
I bought 2" spindles for $30 and another time I bought 2" spindles for $40 with rotors, so the deals are out there just look for them also I think I know where I could get you some spindles for cheap

·
Backyard Special
1,344 Posts
well whats your price range, also the spindles I got for $30 where belltech

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Do it right or at least buy used drop parts off the forum otherwise leave the suspension alone.

·
Backyard Special
1,344 Posts
Im trying to get him a set of drop spindles, Im not trying to hack his truck

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, just let me know what the price is and i'll see if i can afford it... ok?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just wait for the great deals to come along man.

I scored some pristine belltech spindles for $75 on craigslist,

2" blocks from pepboys for like $25.

4x cheap shocks from pepboys for $100.

cut front coils about 7/8 of a coil for aprox 1.5" of additional drop.

All of the above + a little leaf spring sag = $200 for a nice 3.5" front 3" rear stance that rides as good as stock but with a little lower center of gravity, much more fun to toss around town without so much weight leaning over on its side.

Of course I could have improved the handling quite a bit more with more expensive shocks and new lowering springs/leafs but I didn't care use aftermarket springs with a much higher spring rate and have harsh ride, that is what my S2000 is for.

Will post pics tomorrow evening after I finish up the truck rehab by adding a low profile diamond plate tool box.

·
Backyard Special
1,344 Posts
OP ill check out the junk yard where I saw the spindles at and Ill let you know

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Yea if you cant afford new parts definitely let the forum members hook you up on some used drop parts or check craigslist in your area

·
Backyard Special
1,344 Posts
Sorry man havent made it to the yard yet im been busy playing in the snow with my buddies but I will try to go tomorrow or saturday

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
No way I would cut the coils. my dumb friend has done it to like every one of his trucks and all it does is make it bouncy as shit and make your truck eat tires and look like the balljoints are going bad in the front. You think you will be saving money by cutting the coils, but your just costing yourself a set of tires. Throws alignment way off. Don't cut them. You will regret it. I would go with a set of drop spindles before the coils though. Nice truck by the way. goodluck

1 - 20 of 35 Posts