S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 S-10 Blazer 4X4 with the 2.8L V-6 (183K) located in the Denver area - where it's been extremely cold for the past week. The engine does not warm up to its normal operating temperature (around 205 degrees for the past 14 years), and so I figured the thermostat may be stuck open. I removed (it was closed) and tested in hot water (opened at around the boiling point, which at this altitude is maybe 200 degrees). I replaced it in the engine, knowing it was closed, and next time I started up and drove around, the engine still didn't get above about 160 degrees.

The 'stat is basically new- replaced last summer when I had the coolant professionally flushed & refilled.

Assuming the thermostat is good, what else might cause such a low operating temperature indication? Air from the heater/defroster is somewhat warm, and the outside temp has been between 10-25 degrees above zero.

Any help or ideas is appreciated..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well since you bench tested the thermostat and found that it is good, it could possibly be the sending unit is going bad and registering on the gauge wrong.

Rob
89 S10 4.3L 4x4

1 - 2 of 2 Posts