S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 2.2l with intent for 5psi. I am green to forced induction but have done some research on this topic and would love to hear from someone who has actually done this to this year. Has anyone accomplished this without using a stand alone? Not looking for anything crazy just to be new boost goofin ?. Have talked to multiple companies and tuning is a no go. Seems fmus carry a certian stimga for understandable reasons but they can and have worked in the past. Any insight on this? Can a slightly larger fuel pump be used with lets say 5:1 or 8:1 fuel pressure bump on the stock injectors? Maybe slightly bigger injectors? How much can you push a 96 2.2l stock tune is what i am in search of. Thanks for taking the time to read and any and all input is greatly appriciated! -Kevin

·
time to get cereal
3,421 Posts
Your problem is the MAP sensor. Even if you put one in that can read positive pressure (boost), the computer can't do anything with the data. Oh, and have fun with finding tuning software for a 96.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your problem is the MAP sensor. Even if you put one in that can read positive pressure (boost), the computer can't do anything with the data. Oh, and have fun with finding tuning software for a 96.
Manbearpig, thanks for the response, i have read that this is one of the main problems with this year setup, and yes i know that there is no tuning software as i stated above.

·
time to get cereal
3,421 Posts
It's not just that year, no 2.2L PCM will read boost through the MAP sensor. People have put turbos on, but always have problems trying to get them to run correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not just that year, no 2.2L PCM will read boost through the MAP sensor. People have put turbos on, but always have problems trying to get them to run correctly.
Manbearpig, yes i am aware of this, i have also looked to see if there was a way to upgrade the pcm is this year and have also found nothing. Have you heard of upgrading the pcm in this year to 97+?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Manbearpig, welp that explains why i havent found anything. So how is it that 97+ 2.2ls can be tuned to run boost safely? For example using tuner pro?

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can use hptuners on the newer software but like he said it’s alpha-n based meaning indexed by tps and rpm. The problem with turbos is they are very load dependent on when they wanna build boost so first gear will go through the rpms allot quicker then 4th gear would meaning 4th will need more fuel in a lower rpm when first gear won’t. I think tuning it along with running a fmu would probably be good enough to make it work and not run like crap. I wanted to turbo my 2.2l 2000 s10 but I’m working on a simple supercharger setup for it right now. Should be able to tune it this week so I’ll give some feedback once that’s done.

·
time to get cereal
3,421 Posts
I don't think it's unsafe it just won't be optimized, and if you're going through all of the trouble then what's the point?

Personally, I would just ditch the factory computer and use megasquirt. You're not going to have to compromise anything and you can even do things like switch to individual coils to get rid of the wasted spark system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it's unsafe it just won't be optimized, and if you're going through all of the trouble then what's the point?

Personally, I would just ditch the factory computer and use megasquirt. You're not going to have to compromise anything and you can even do things like switch to individual coils to get rid of the wasted spark system.
Meaning using an fmu to make the afr safe would be okay? I have heard about mega squirt, has anyone used it on a 96 2.2l before that you have heard of?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can use hptuners on the newer software but like he said it’s alpha-n based meaning indexed by tps and rpm. The problem with turbos is they are very load dependent on when they wanna build boost so first gear will go through the rpms allot quicker then 4th gear would meaning 4th will need more fuel in a lower rpm when first gear won’t. I think tuning it along with running a fmu would probably be good enough to make it work and not run like crap. I wanted to turbo my 2.2l 2000 s10 but I’m working on a simple supercharger setup for it right now. Should be able to tune it this week so I’ll give some feedback once that’s done.
I would have no problem getting it tuned i just cant due to the year, would be kool if the pcm could be upgraded to one that could be..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds pretty kool would love to see some pics of your setup once complete!

·
Registered
81 Posts
its on and tuned, stock Injectors ran out of fuel by 5500rpm, gonna swap in some stock Honda 240cc injectors in it and retune it maybe look for something bigger. Its making about 4lbs and I just ordered a smaller pulley for it to hopefully get 8lbs out of it. Its super fun, makes allot of cool noises, not the fastest thing ever but at least it’s unique. The blower bolted right up to the back side of the ac bracket and the pulley lined up perfect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited by Moderator)

1. its on and tuned, stock Injectors ran out of fuel by 5500rpm, gonna swap in some stock Honda 240cc injectors in it and retune it maybe look for something bigger. Its making about 4lbs and I just ordered a smaller pulley for it to hopefully get 8lbs out of it. Its super fun, makes allot of cool noises, not the fastest thing ever but at least it’s unique. The blower bolted right up to the back side of the ac bracket and the pulley lined up perfect.
    View attachment 336454
    View attachment 336455
    Look great man, bad*! what blower did you use? I am sure it give it a swift kick in the * lol. How in depth was the tune?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Its a aisin amr500 blower. You can find them off eBay for $150-200. I ordered a different pulley to try to get 8lbs out of it but I’ll definitely need to upgrade the injectors for that. As far as tuning it it was easy. I tune for a living mostly Honda’s and Acura’s but the 2.2l Ecu is pretty limited so there’s not a whole lot to do other then dialing in the ve tables for fueling and getting the ignition timing where it’s safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a aisin amr500 blower. You can find them off eBay for $150-200. I ordered a different pulley to try to get 8lbs out of it but I’ll definitely need to upgrade the injectors for that. As far as tuning it it was easy. I tune for a living mostly Honda’s and Acura’s but the 2.2l Ecu is pretty limited so there’s not a whole lot to do other then dialing in the ve tables for fueling and getting the ignition timing where it’s safe.
Sweet man, would love to learn to tune, have a couple of programing classes under my belt from school, not sure if it would help any lol. Wish i could do something with my freakin sonoma, have a t3 exhaust mainifold for it already and a waste gate..

·
time to get cereal
3,421 Posts
You could just use flex fuel injectors... probably
its on and tuned, stock Injectors ran out of fuel by 5500rpm, gonna swap in some stock Honda 240cc injectors in it and retune it maybe look for something bigger.
You could probably just use flex fuel injectors, will be easier than using something not made for the truck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not sure how hard it would be to swap in a newer pcm but I would look into it. Tuning really isn’t that hard if you have the right tools and understand how the efi system works. Plenty of good videos to help learn it. I’m self taught and have been tuning for a living since 2010.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts