S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
something some one my beable to help me with. when i turn my car off, my stereo makes a lound thump sound. i have a jl audio 1000/1 jl 500/1 and 6 jl 12w6's. if some one know how to help me fix this problem please do so

·
NOS make light brighter!
1,480 Posts
Are you using the remote wire from your head unit to turn on the amps, or is the remote on the amp hooked to something else?

·
NOS make light brighter!
1,480 Posts
i had this problem when i went from acc to on and the amp was still on.. does the amp have a soft on/off feature?
Same question to you.

Soft on/off feature or not; if the amp is able to stay on when the signal (read: music) is dropped or turned on, there will be a pop. The ideal is to have the head unit come on before the amps turns on, and the amp to turn off before the head unit turns off. If the amp is triggered (read: remote) by a means other than the radio's remote wire, you'll have to manually make sure that things turn off and on in the manner I outlined above.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have this too.. But when I grounded my RCAs to fix my alt whine, it's not done it so far. I've not really tried tho yet either.

Here is a helpful thing I found when searching up noises..

Turn On/Off Thump

Turn on thump can vary from a slight pop to a mind shattering, teeth rattling BOOM! This thump is caused by the audio circuitry stabilizing when power is applied. Most amplifiers and source units have muting circuitry that lasts a couple of seconds to allow these fluctuations to subside before passing a signal. However, if the amplifier un-mutes before the source unit or any other accessory, you better watch out. Here are some things to try if you have turn on thump.
  1. Verify that the amp has a good audio ground reference. (See rule 6 of the Ten Commandments of noise free installation.)
  2. Don't install the system so the amplifiers can be switched on when the source unit is turned off.
  3. If you still have thump, add a turn on delay module in line with the remote turn on wire to the amp.
  4. This concludes the section on turn on thump.
This is from this article:
http://www.termpro.com/articles/noise.html

·
NOS make light brighter!
1,480 Posts
yea its wired by the remote wire from the head unit
There might be a need for you to follow step #3 in morbid's post then. Try this to check if the delay will work:
-With your head unit out of the dash, and the key out of the ignition, cut the remote wire.
-Turn your head unit on, wait a couple of seconds and tie the remote wire back together temporarily.
-With the radio still on, pull the remote wire back apart.

If the pop was never present, there is an issue with the head unit turning the amp on too soon and off too late. The delay should cure your woes.

One more thing, make sure the radio is turned down when doing this. Also, make sure when you touch the two ends of the remote wire together that you make a secure connection ONCE; don't let the connection tap together or the ends rub each other causing the connection to go in and out. As a matter of fact, if you could temp a switch in instead of just touching the two ends together would be the most ideal scenario. A simple single pole, single throw (SPST) switch at Radio Shack should cost just a buck or two and would prevent any mishaps in doing this. (While you are at it, keep it connected and hide the switch somewhere. It'll keep the siblings/friends from doing any unwanted SPL tests in your truck.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep, what Dan said.

My pop is now fixed since I grounded my RCA's and got rid of my ground loop. From your other thread it seems like you have the same exact problem I had, so check that other thread, look at the pics I showed u, and do that, it should take care of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts