S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I've had this LOUD noise coming from the front passenger side of the truck (clunk/pop type of noise), I used to hear it only when the truck went up and down in the front like when going over a long speed bump or coming down off a driveway. But now for example, if I'm parallel parking and I turn the wheel all the way to the right and go forward or backward I hear it, again if i do the same if I turn the wheel all the way to the left.

I had a similar sound a few years ago but it went away when my driver side ball joint broke and then was replaced. The joint on the passenger side doesn't look bad or loose in my opinion so I don't know. Hope that was enough info. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There are a number of things that could make that noise. All of them are more than likely the result of a failed bushing somewhere.

You're going to have to inspect the sway arm bushings, sway bar end link bushings, the control arm bushings, shock bushings. Also check the tie rods ends, the idler arm and, of course, the ball joints...again.

If you have ramps it might not be a bad idea to get the front end up on the ramp sand have a helper push the front end down to induce the noise. Just make sure the ramps are sturdy, you're on a level surface and your parking brake works an dis set.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a number of things that could make that noise. All of them are more than likely the result of a failed bushing somewhere.

You're going to have to inspect the sway arm bushings, sway bar end link bushings, the control arm bushings, shock bushings. Also check the tie rods ends, the idler arm and, of course, the ball joints...again.

If you have ramps it might not be a bad idea to get the front end up on the ramp sand have a helper push the front end down to induce the noise. Just make sure the ramps are sturdy, you're on a level surface and your parking brake works an dis set.
I do have a set of ramps and I'll do just that. I'll get back with results soon. Thanks.

·
Bobby B!!!
320 Posts
also another way to check ball joints that has worked for me is jack up the front end and put it on jackstands (dont have the tire off the ground far) and take a prybar and pry up and down under the tire. if it is the ball joints you will hear it popping. also while on the jackstands or ramps have a friend shake the steering wheel left and right pretty fast as your looking at the steering linkage. if its in the steering you will see it. they shouldnt do anything but turn the linkage (no up and down movement or side to side except turning the other linkages). also check the steering shaft from the firewall to the steering gear box. i have seen a few of those fail before.

·
Registered
181 Posts
oh no no very important to check them, just again...how often do they go out?

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
if you didnt buy moog ones then they may last a year

possibly

if youre lucky.

same with the idler arms

bene here seen this a bunch of times now.,

something about this design of front ends if you use the cheap auto zone joints or arms they wont last a year usually.

have to use the problem solver moog parts.

a pop in front end is always either balljoints or CV shaft

1 - 8 of 8 Posts