S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I start while it's cold, it's only when I get up to temperature that it starts the loping idle.

Up and down from 25-150 rpms.

Anyone else had this problem and have a possible solution?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
youve got the same engine as me, right - 1995 cpi? Mine sometimes gets a REALLY nasty lope, when its warmed up, goes from 500-1600 rpm lope. usually, its just a slight one from 650-900. i think its just another quirk of the cpi, but im not sure - something could be wrong with it. Im thinking of checking my egr, but its such a bitch to get to...

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not hard to get to, just remove the air intake hose and it's right underneath.

Yea, it's the 1995 CPI "w" vortec. I might change out the IAC sensor as it's sometimes the culprit.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
12,507 Posts
ive got a bunch of wires running around mine - ppl who swapped the new engine in didnt know what they were doing...IAC?

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The IAC is right at the front top of the engine where the intake hose meets the actual engine.

Yes, it mean Idle Air control.

·
12,507 Posts
does it look like a little black box? i always thought that was the TPS...i dont like all that electronic shit. let us know what happens if you change it

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's small a small black sensor that is screwed into the side of the top of the MAF sensor.

·
Early Member
3,114 Posts
I think it is IAT and not IAC. Check your EGR valve. And O2 sensor. And rlith is correct CPI doesn't have MAF.

·
12,507 Posts
yeah, the IAT is "intake air temp" the little thing that plugs into the bottom of the intake. which O2 sensor?

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doh, my mistake.

The IAC is known to create this problem. But I'm just checking to see if anyone has had the same issue.

·
Early Member
3,114 Posts
All O2 sensors.

·
Early Member
3,114 Posts
I would check all 2 or 3 depending on your truck year and engine size.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Although I have a TBI, I got rid of the loping idle after warmup just by checking the IAC connector. It wasn't seated all the way. I just pushed in on it and the idle smoothed right out.
Always idled OK when cold, by the way.

Now if I can just get rid of that ping....

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yea, I'm getting that pinging to even on mild acceleration up hill.

Sounds like an old beater sometimes.

Wonder if I have a knock sensor gone or something?

·
Early Member
3,114 Posts
The pinging maybe caused by the cat. clogging up. My cat. clogged up and was causing to much back pressure, hence the knock sensor ping.:cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts