S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to take the tension off my 98 s10 2wd by rotating the belt tensioner, but the bolt just broke over (like it was being removed). Anybody seen this problem? It looks like there are grooves for a special tool. Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

thanks, Bear

·
Registered
47 Posts
You dont loosen the bolt. You use a 3/8 rachtet . Look on the tensioner and you will see a square 3/8 hole. You put the rachtet into the hole and the whole tensioner will lift up. It will be hard as your lifting up against a strong spring. Bob

·
95 S-10 2200
510 Posts
I recomend using a breaker bar if you have one,3/8" but a ratchet does just fine as long as you get the ratchet locked in the right direction

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big Woops, I was attaching to the bolt on the pivot point, not the 3/8" slot at the idler. Thanks for the help. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, you do something stupid like that. Bear

·
Registered
220 Posts
yl1 said:
You dont loosen the bolt. You use a 3/8 rachtet . Look on the tensioner and you will see a square 3/8 hole. You put the rachtet into the hole and the whole tensioner will lift up. It will be hard as your lifting up against a strong spring. Bob
I just changed out my altenator, and that is how I did it..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts