S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1988 S10 4x4 6” lift on 32’s
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new-ish to the forum, been browsing a long while.
My truck is an 88 with a 2.8, 700r4, and it’s front susp. on a 6” lift kit of some brand from the late 90’s.
I recently went through the entire front end,
Tube upper arms for alignment reasons, new shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, axles, etc.
I have a ton of play and a decent leak from the drivers side cv flange. Right against the seal and bearing out of the diff.
replaced the seal and bearing last Month, leak persists and still has the wiggle.
4x4 works flawlessly. No noises or shavings in the gear oil.
P/O states rebuild on front and rear diff with 4.11 gears, confirmed with receipts, although work was done in ‘08 locally at 4wp in riverside.

Any thoughts from some members on this?
Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Automotive side marker light Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tire

·
Been there Done it
15,716 Posts
Did you check the flange when you had it off for a groove worn in it or other issues? Nice looking 88. Too bad it's a 2 point nothing. What's the cap off of?

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,719 Posts
Did you check the flange when you had it off for a groove worn in it or other issues? Nice looking 88. Too bad it's a 2 point nothing. What's the cap off of?
The cap looks like it was originally from a newer S10, based on the little telltale curvature at the bottom of the front edge (to conform to the cab profile of the 2nd gen.) Here's a shot of my top.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive side-view mirror

·
Been there Done it
15,716 Posts
Just remembered, did you RTV the plate for the seal and bearing when you had it off?
Be sure the vent tube or it's fitting isn't what's leaking.

·
Registered
1988 S10 4x4 6” lift on 32’s
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cap is off a newer s10 yeah.
It’s not on currently, going to end up doing some racks for my boards instead.
So when I changed the bearing I used my slide hammer and a inside bearing puller, so I never actually had that cover off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts