S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Currently Spoolin
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dell 4600 (now transplanted into a different case, only original dell parts are the motherboard and the hard drive). Have had this computer for about 6 years, it sees a lot of up time (non stop through weekdays). I am leaning towards replacing or adding another hard drive to my system because I'm pretty sure this hard drive is going to reach failure soon. I do a lot of gaming, not completely sure if the hard drive has a whole lot to do with performance of games and shit but I need a hard drive suitable for me. I'm running out of space (current HD is a 40 gig, LOL) Looking for something around 250 Gigs + and at a reasonable price....any ideas?

By the way, current stock hard drive that came with the computer is a Maxtor 6E040L0.

http://www.etech4sale.com/Maxtor_6E040L0_DiamondMax_Plus/6E040L0/partinfo-id-116859.html

·
Currently Spoolin
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm well the most expensive HD I could find on newegg compatible with my machine (ATA) is 127$. Price range would probably be 150 or less. Let's see what you can find and I'll see about the price range.

·
Captain Obvious
19,352 Posts
Honestly man if you haven't filled that 40 gig I'd just double it and pocket the remainder you've saved, and or look into doing a more worthwhile upgrade. If your HDD is not showing signs that would indicate an oncoming failure (funny noises and bad sectors), I wouldn't bother replacing it at all, really. I still have drives that're about to be a decade along and they're just fine.

Run check disk, defrag, and then see where you're at as far as your drive's stability. Maxtor's probably one of my last picks for drives, but hell, if it works it works.

Seagate 80g ~$40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148236

Western Digital 80g ~$40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144122
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144102

·
Sneaky White Person
9,765 Posts
yea you can pretty much get whatever you want. if i was in your boat i'd go with something like this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148143

pretty good upgrade in storage space from your current, and 16mb cache. can't go wrong.

sure 320 500 or 750 GB would be nice but eh, you've been ok with 40 for a while so 250 should last you quite some time haha.

edit: marty snuck his advice in while i was typing. (that SOB, always a day early and a buck over.....)

·
Currently Spoolin
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I looked at the one xJuice posted, which is originally what I was looking at before I posted here. I'm not looking to get a maxtor, that's just what came with the dell and I figured I'd post it up (to show what I've been using). The 40Gig has been filled up for a long time now. Currently I have around 300MB's of free space left...I just haven't gotten around to upgrading. I play counter strike 1.6 every day a few hours a day (last summer of freedom :)) gathering demos and such takes up quite a bit of space. I uninstalled BF2 because I was running out of space, as well as quite a few other games. This is a pain in the ass, lol, so it's time for an upgrade. Seeing as I have a limit of around ~150, why not use it up? I'm sure I can fill up a 250 relatively quick (won't state how :p) I wouldn't mind having a 500, or even a 750. But I am worried about performance, and reliability. I read quite a few of those reviews, and it's scaring the shit outta me. Clicking, other strange noises, failing right out of the box, becoming paper weights, etc. Also, I don't think the saying "if it isn't broke don't fix it" really applies to something like this :rotf:. I do have a lot of important data and shit on here I would rather not wait until it's too late to upgrade..

oh and I defrag on a weekly basis, and also use SpeedFan to analyze the performance of the drive. No problems yet, but I would be more comfortable with a quite a leap in size.

Also, I REALLY wouldn't mind a motherboard upgrade to something newer, and I forgot to mention that this isn't money saved, my pops is paying for it (waits for the spoiled brat comments) but right now I don't think I could persuade him into paying for a bigger upgrade + hd upgrade, but it may be possible. Right now he's trying to pay off his f150 and he supports my mother (misses a lot of work days due to emphysyma) but I'll see...

·
Sneaky White Person
9,765 Posts
Also, I don't think the saying "if it isn't broke don't fix it" really applies to something like this :rotf:. I do have a lot of important data and shit on here I would rather not wait until it's too late to upgrade..
now's probably the time to back up that "important stuff" onto dvd's or something.

i personally would probably save your dad the money and get something reasonable, but it's up to you.

things to look for: drive capacity, seek time/latency, and cache

·
Bovine on NOS!!
1,231 Posts
can get 500 GB IDE or SATA for 100 bucks..all day long...:)

but seriously....a bigger Hard drive is better space rules..:)

and since you are just using it as storage, it will only need to be formatted correctly and installed...:)
Good luck..:)

·
NUKKA!!!
2,303 Posts
I would just switch the 40gb to slave. Then when ur new drive came I would format it and use it for the OS and part storage. Chances are the new one would smoke the old one in speed. Also.....make sure ur using the 40 wire hard drive cable, I'm pretty sure its called EIDE or ultra IDE. If your using a cable that has 20 wires then buy a new one you'll definatly see a performance gain by upgrading that.

·
Currently Spoolin
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys...I'm going to bump this thread up instead of starting a new one. I ended up getting a Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM IDE hd. I've had it for 4 or so months with no problems at all. Well, this past Friday night, my computer started freezing every 10 seconds or so and I couldn't click the start menu to shut it off so I ended up pushing the button on the computer to turn it off. When I turned it back on, I got the infamous blue screen with an error reading "unmountable_boot_volume"...and I couldn't boot in any mode safe or normal, so I started looking on the internet on my mom's computer for solutions. I found the solution on a bunch of different forum's where people have had the same problem and it worked for them, but it didn't work for me. All they had to do was run chkdsk and then fixboot at the bios dos prompt and it fixed it for them...but not me. So I ended up removing the CMOS battery for 20 or so minutes, then put it back in...and then I booted to my slave drive (the old 40 gig) and then shut it off and booted to the 250. My question is...what went wrong or what happened? I hate it when shit happens and I don't know why..I'm hoping it's not a hd problem.

·
Holy hangover Batman!!!
296 Posts
I use western digital mostly and have good experiences with them. I wont use much over a 80 gig for the main drive. For a bigger drive like the 160 in one of my comps I partition a 40 gig or so section for the O/S and other progs.

Having all that space for the main drive just adds ungodly amounts of time to the defrag so I try to keep the main sectors smaller so I can defrag my O/S alot faster.

I now use external drives to hold all my media and backup stuff and leave my comps HD for essential stuff that needs to be on there.

·
Currently Spoolin
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like that hard drive might have died. Can you see it in the BIOS?
I'm back on it now, it worked fine after I removed the CMOS battery and put it back in, but, right after that I did not boot straight to the 250 but to the 40 (slave). I then restarted my computer and it booted to the 250 (primary) just fine...what I'm trying to figure out is what brought on the error? I was getting scared after I tried everything I could and still got that message.

·
Currently Spoolin
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any thing over 500 gigs and you'll run the risk of hdd failure.
Forgot to mention early in the first post it's a 250G.

·
Holy hangover Batman!!!
296 Posts
Might try booting from a windows CD and using the repair option. Alot of times this is what is recommended when getting that error.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Here's the 500 gig I'm getting next week. It's going to be storage, and I'll be using a 160 gig for the OS. And.. I disagree with Travy's statement about drive size. That was true when they first came out.. but WD also had a problem with 20 gig drives years ago. It's been fixed.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136149

·
Currently Spoolin
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Might try booting from a windows CD and using the repair option. Alot of times this is what is recommended when getting that error.
I did that 5 different times. I also rewrote the boot sector 5 times using the fixboot command. chkdsk did see that there were corrupt sectors or something but after running the solutions for some reason only removing the CMOS battery for 20 minutes worked.

and I ended up paying like 70 for my 250g last year and it's IDE...you are getting a good deal on that 500g..are the differences between SATA and IDE really THAT noticeable? I still have my stock motherboard from my Dell 4600 that I think is about 6 years old.

·
Holy hangover Batman!!!
296 Posts
Sata was a noticeable upgrade for me. You may not notice the difference for everyday stuff but for gaming and intensive apps its pretty sweet.
I accidently forgot to reload the proper drivers for my sata controller once and kept wondering why my games where loading so slowly...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts