S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am a newbie to this forum. I am a professional auto mechanic for 17 years. 8 years with GM and currently 5 years with Jag Landrover , with my beginning years being at Midas and in my driveway. I am 38 and live in Massachusetts.

I am in the middle of a monster of a swap in my back yard. 1999 S10 4x4 Blazer with a LM7 5.3 going in. Attempting to use Dirty Dingo mounts, but not really working out, hits the Milodon 31083 oil pan thats installed, also no real clearance for passenger side Hooker 8501 manifold with the engine shoved all the way to the passenger side.

I originally planned 4 years ago to use CPW 4x4 non ZR2 mounts, but it doesnt look like they are available anymore, just some poly frame mounts from them. I am at this point so close I am willing to make my own or buy a set that is proven to fit. DD's tech support was meh. I hope when I talk to CPW tomorrow they have a solution as I got the harness and PCM programming from them along with the AC lines.!

I hope to learn some things and help people out with general mechanical and drivability problems on this site.

Rob

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,765 Posts
BRP makes 4WD non-ZR2 mounts for use with either LH8 pan or moroso high clearance pan. (I'd think the Holley 302-1 would also work since its about the same as the LH8).

http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BRP&Product_Code=LSX13&Category_Code=CNV13

You can also get the stuff as a kit with the proper oil pans, and headers:

http://stores.lsxeverything.com/ls-swap-kit-for-chevy-s10-4wd-82-00/

Or just get the mounts first and see if that solves your problem.

By the way, welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I have looked into the BRP stuff. It says it requires you to have a 2" body lift. I don't really want to do a body lift , so I looked past them onto LSx Everything, I called them today left them a message I also emailed them. I just don't want to spend $299 for a look see.

I hope I don't need to change pans again, this setup already cost me $500 total with windage pickup tube and relocator kit and dipstick

My new brainstorm is to use universal LSx plates, or Trans-dapt plates, and weld the plate to the factory 4.3 mount and bolt that to the frame. That major issue is Front Diff to Milodon 31083 pan SUCKS! I only used this pan , because 4 years ago CPW , Dirty Dingo and Milodon said that it will work. Again, if it had a bodylift maybe, but the diff is so darn close to the pan, I can only slide it towards the passenger side for clearance on the diff. The result is not being able to fit the hooker swap manifold in due to hitting shock tower and the collector pointing at the frame on that side. The driver side has tons of room.

This brought me to the idea of dropping the diff ever so slightly so the pan clears it better, and using factory 4.3 mounts.

I feel like I am going insane dealing with this. While trying to deal with my daily duties of fixing Rovers.

Thanks for the input , I feel like I have come to the right place.

·
Been there Done it
7,132 Posts
Here's some info on the RC diff drop kit. It's a bit dated (2012-14) and it sounds like RC may have stopped selling it cause guys were buying it instead of the complete 2.5 inch kit. But the last couple posts on the page have pics that may explain enough to build you own.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f220/have-info-on-drop-brackets-for-2-5-rc-lift-or-tbar-cranks-look-here-488910/
Or
Since the Milodon pan is steel have you thought about altering it? For my SBC swaps into 4x4's I bought one JTR pan and made 3 more once I saw how easy it was. A real mig or tig can do it. Not stick or splatter welders.

·
NVRBDUN
888 Posts
BRP makes 4WD non-ZR2 mounts for use with either LH8 pan or moroso high clearance pan. (I'd think the Holley 302-1 would also work since its about the same as the LH8).

http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BRP&Product_Code=LSX13&Category_Code=CNV13

You can also get the stuff as a kit with the proper oil pans, and headers:

http://stores.lsxeverything.com/ls-swap-kit-for-chevy-s10-4wd-82-00/

Or just get the mounts first and see if that solves your problem.

By the way, welcome to the forums!
I know this thread is old but I'm looking for info on lsxeverything.com swap kit and when I did a search this is the only thread found.

I'm looking at buying this kit:

Just wanted to see if anyone used their stuff or knows anything about the quality and fit.

Thanks

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,765 Posts
@sakustoms Holley's products are getting much better reviews from forum members these days.
In terms of that kit, it notes doesn't include headers for the base price, but from appearances its BRP's cross member and mounts which not many here have used but have heard to be ok. The oil pan is the H3 alpha/LH8 pan, which fits fine but hangs below the cross member. The headers have a few options, but appear to be a mix of BRP/JBA and the mid length are lousy due to 3 bolt flanges, the longtubes are ok but clearancing of the passenger side bellhousing is usually required especially with the 1-7/8" primaries. The 1-5/8" primaries are known to fit better almost always for most companies.

If you want quieter headers, Holley/Hooker now have pretty slick 2-1/2" cast iron manifolds for S-10 swaps, which if I was doing it again I'd go for those.
Holley has a real nice cross member as well, I notice the 4L60E cross member is double drilled for both bellhousing depths which is really cool.
Holley also has a shallower 302-1 oil pan, similar to the H3 alpha but doesn't hang below the cross member.

I am a Holley fan you can tell, but I did my swap before they came out with a lot of the parts they have now such as the notched A/C box cover and drop in steering shaft, they really put some good R&D into these trucks to round out pretty complete kits. Combined with what CPW offers for rads, overflow tanks, a/c line sets, harnesses, you can do a complete swap between two companies now which is really sweet.

Cheers,

·
Been there Done it
7,132 Posts
Holley doesn't seem to embrace 4wd any more than anyone else.
I'm going to try bolting my LQ9 to the trans after replacing the 4.3 frame mounts with 2.8 frame mounts and build my own engine mounts. Shouldn't be that difficult as most s10 swap engine mounts are a plate with the correct holes to bolt to the block and a couple short arms to the frame portion where the bolt goes thru the bushing.

·
NVRBDUN
888 Posts
@sakustoms Holley's products are getting much better reviews from forum members these days.
In terms of that kit, it notes doesn't include headers for the base price, but from appearances its BRP's cross member and mounts which not many here have used but have heard to be ok. The oil pan is the H3 alpha/LH8 pan, which fits fine but hangs below the cross member. The headers have a few options, but appear to be a mix of BRP/JBA and the mid length are lousy due to 3 bolt flanges, the longtubes are ok but clearancing of the passenger side bellhousing is usually required especially with the 1-7/8" primaries. The 1-5/8" primaries are known to fit better almost always for most companies.

If you want quieter headers, Holley/Hooker now have pretty slick 2-1/2" cast iron manifolds for S-10 swaps, which if I was doing it again I'd go for those.
Holley has a real nice cross member as well, I notice the 4L60E cross member is double drilled for both bellhousing depths which is really cool.
Holley also has a shallower 302-1 oil pan, similar to the H3 alpha but doesn't hang below the cross member.

I am a Holley fan you can tell, but I did my swap before they came out with a lot of the parts they have now such as the notched A/C box cover and drop in steering shaft, they really put some good R&D into these trucks to round out pretty complete kits. Combined with what CPW offers for rads, overflow tanks, a/c line sets, harnesses, you can do a complete swap between two companies now which is really sweet.

Cheers,
thanks for all the info. I ended up getting this swap kit from Summit

And this harness from CPW

·
Been there Done it
7,132 Posts
Curious if you read the one review on Summit of the kit?

Lots of modding to make work
TRD-42163
This is not even close to a bolt in kit... need to notch front cross member for oil pan and notch passenger side frame rail for header. Drivers side header is really tight but you can cram it in with no mods Requires a lot of work pulling engine in and out.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,765 Posts
For 743$ not sure I'd consider that a good deal or good kit... Unfinished headers w/ ball end 3 bolt flanges. Appears to be a repainted Moroso oil pan? Eh, let us know how it goes!

FWIW, the oil pan bolts visually look too short... iron block fine, aluminum block you might strip the threads out of the block before you achieve torque... be careful there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts