S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have enough power in my 96 ss and the obvious thing to do would be a SB swap. I've seen plenty of 10-12 second track s10's with built sb's so I know the weight of the s10 + 300+hp equals haulin ass.

I'm selling my 1968 nova to pay off some stuff and at the end I'll have enough to buy a complete LT1 ($1,000-ish). If I went to all the trouble of swapping one in, what rough estimates 1/4 mile times would I be looking at. Serched the internet but dont know what builds the guys have, mine will be near stock with a few mods. tear it down and maybe heads/headers/cam? mild build to say the least. if I like the s10/v8 comba i can always go bigger down the road.

i guess my question here is, if I do it myself with buddies in my driveway how much will it aprox cost for me to swap a mild LT1 into a 96 SS including the LT1 itself for around a grand?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,328 Posts
Just remember...motor must be same year or newer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is good to know. why is that? just the harness or what? different ECU every year? Or does it have to do with title/emissions? Just dealt with a ton of that for the truck already and sank over $300 into it in custom exhaust work.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,328 Posts
Nope...like I said...same year or newer to comply with emissions....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I did a bunch of googling...i found a pdf.doc from the federal ecology that said something barely decipherible regarding engine swaps needing to match the be same year or newer as the same chassis. so this means no 80's blocks in my truck? legally anyway? I was figurering a complete early 90's lt1 from a police cruiser or impala SS off CL.

also talke about no cross maker swaps. What about a chev 350 in a foxbody then i see that all the time at the track. never knew the laws were so limiting other then passing emissons.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,328 Posts
I don't know how in depth they go to determine which engines are compliant. I would follow the spirit if not the letter of the law...it would be a lot of wasted money if they failed you because the engine was the wrong year.:( I went to the emission test station in Lakewood with these same questions and they seemed pretty clueless...a bad sign. The State Patrol on 112th didn't have any issues as long as the engine was same year or newer. There is a guy in the Seattle area that had his LSX swap pass so it can be done.

BTW...you coming sunday??

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can find complete 5.3 motors all day long for around $500. The LS based motors are easier to work on and easier to make power with. A decent sized cam'd 5.3 in an S10 is awesome. I have some buddies that do these swaps all the time. I was considering swapping one into my S10 I had before I sold it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mmm. good point about the 5.3's. I see them in the 400-500ish- range and tonight have spent awhile looking at 5.3 s10's... what type of internal upgrades would I be looking at to build a nice track truck (low 14's or better, is that asking too much of a 5.3l?) such as obviously a cam. do they make aftermarket 5.3 heads?

the Lt1 is still an option but i'm not sure about it anymore. also looking at GM crate engine blocks, then running carbed so as not to mess with wiring.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A stock 5.3 in an S10 will run low 14's. Any of the LS1/6 based stuff will work on the 5.3's. My buddy put a MS3 cam from Texas Speed in his S10 and it ran hard. Here is the link to that cam just for reference...

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=170&catid=44

Check out LS1tech.com for more info on the motors. Do some searching over there and you will find tons of stuff.

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
The Lt1 is still an option but i'm not sure about it anymore. also looking at GM crate engine blocks, then running carbed so as not to mess with wiring.
you cant run it carbed if you are worried about passing emissions, that defeats the whole purpose of getting an engine the same year of the vehicle, modern engines have emission regulating equipment on them, hence the rule

and if you look on that site with the crate engines.. they usually state somewhere that "these engines are for offroad use only" or something like that, that way they can legally sell them and not be liable for people that use them on the street

1 - 11 of 11 Posts