S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently bought a light rolled 1998 s10 ext cab 4x4 4.3 auto with 121,000miles. Ive been leaning real hard towards just cutting the top off and grafting on another top an swaping driverside doors. I have a opportunity to buy a complete cab cheap. I am looking for someone elses opinion on how time consuming swapping cabs would be. Ive been looking through the forums for someones walkthrough on cab removal but really only came across dash removal. If someone has access to a how to on a cab removal that would be much appreciated. I do believe the truck will look and be better in the end if a switch the whole cab. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
its gonna be alot of work either way, but if ya do switch the cab what are yo going to do about the Vin number? pull the windshield and switch the tag out? or just assume the new vin tag of the new cab? Not sure how your state is, but here in PA the body vin tag has to match the computers internal tag, if it pops up different on the computer during an inspection the vehicle fails and you risk having it impounded depending on how picky the station is.

Also switching vin tags on the cab isnt exactly "legal" :haha: but in the long run it would end up being easier then trying to pull the stock cab back into shape, and then grafting a new roof on and getting everything to line up.

·
00xtreme/98s10
93 Posts
a friend of mine took his windshild out and cut the arm pillars in the middle and then across the floor and and changed out the back half of the cab with the roof then welded up and it seems like a lot but it wasnt too bad other than taking out the seats and carpet sounds like a lot of work but you dont have to take dash out and dont have to worry bout changing the vin tag or anything like that

·
Disaster Happening
316 Posts
The actual process of swapping cabs is not that difficult.

Once the sheet metal is removed, make sure ALL the wiring is disconnected that runs into the cabs. If the master cylinders are still in place, don't forget about the brake lines and the transmission linkage.

A regular cab has 4 body mounts. They aren't exactly cheap to replace so you might want to consider using heat to loosen the bolts.

The fun part comes when you remove the cab. On a regular cab, they are very nose heavy. Perhaps less so on an extended cab, but, watch out either way.

If you can, try to build some cribbing to raise the cab off the frame and roll the frame out from under the cab. Naturally, this assumes you've also removed the engine.

The physical act of swapping the cabs is the hardest part next to deciding what to do about the VIN.

Unless you have some very big friends, I would not recommend trying to lift and carry the cab. Find 3-4 people with some real common sense to help you. I damn near killed myself removing my fullsize cab, but, learned a lot for when it came time to repair a first gen S10 cab.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts