S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Chevy Blazer 2wd
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any leads for a heavy duty radiator for 2001 S10 Blazer, 4.3L engine. Radiator is adequate on the road and in town, but when parked and idling in the sun, above 95 degrees, temperature rises from normal ~200 degrees to 235, and the A/C shuts down. As soon as I drive a block or two, temperature drops to normal range. I'm also concerned about towing capability above 100 degrees ambient temperature. I'm in west Texas, so we're hitting 100 degrees most days in the summer, and 110+ degree temps are not unusual.

·
Registered
02 Sonoma ext cab 4.3 zq8
86 Posts
Check your fan clutch. Last summer I would be in stop and go traffic my temperature would creep up as soon as I got moving it returned to normal. Replaced the fan clutch and now it will sit in the same place. Dallas is just as hot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does anyone have any leads for a heavy duty radiator for 2001 S10 Blazer, 4.3L engine. Radiator is adequate on the road and in town, but when parked and idling in the sun, above 95 degrees, temperature rises from normal ~200 degrees to 235, and the A/C shuts down. As soon as I drive a block or two, temperature drops to normal range. I'm also concerned about towing capability above 100 degrees ambient temperature. I'm in west Texas, so we're hitting 100 degrees most days in the summer, and 110+ degree temps are not unusual.
Air flow is as important as water flow.
I second checking the fan clutch. But also check the spaces in the radiator and AC condenser. If it's the original radiator, bugs & debris may be blocking air flow.
Also open the cap and inspect the ends of the tubes for corrosion & mineral build up. Again, if it's the original radiator, depending on how it's been maintained, it could be at the end of it's life. Or not. It might be just fine.
If you do replace the radiator, consider using super long life coolant that's advertised to last 15 years / 350,000 miles. Worth it.

·
Registered
2002 S10 2WD (4.3L, AT)
266 Posts
Definitely an air flow problem. Ensure fan clutch is working properly, fan shroud is in place, and radiator fins are not blocked by debris.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts