S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Awesome User
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my overall situation. (cliff notes at bottom I suppose) please take me serious with positive comments and help, and not dumb things please.

I'm ready to start some sort of college, currently I'm getting ready to do some classes here locally. BUT, I hate where I live, I'm ready to get away from all of the negative. Ended a 4 year relationship with a girl, who I'm still in love with, things have changed. But I want to go to college, and I want to live in NYC. So I figured, going to college in NYC would help get me to where I want to live. I have no one else to take with me or know any one up there. So I have to do this on my own. Does anyone have any information on some good schools that offer housing for someone who has no money saved, and their mother doesn't make much either? I want to take aviation to learn to be an airline pilot.

CLIFF NOTES:
want to live in NYC, figure can live there easy if housing for college is available. ended relationship with a girl I love, just want away from here.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
fafsa will be your friend. Its what you go through for most government grants and scholarships. It will only helo you out though if your mother makes below about 50-60k

I would find a school and the first thing to do would be to march right into financial aid. You can go pretty much to any school for little to nothing if you work with their department and apply for other provate scholarships

·
Awesome User
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fafsa will be your friend. Its what you go through for most government grants and scholarships. It will only helo you out though if your mother makes below about 50-60k

I would find a school and the first thing to do would be to march right into financial aid. You can go pretty much to any school for little to nothing if you work with their department and apply for other provate scholarships

we make below 20k together

·
Registered
960 Posts
It also takes into account the cost of going to that particular school. So if your going to a community school then you may not make out well. If you go to a big school then you can get decent grants and help and check into "work study" programs. You can make up to like 3k a year to put towards your tuition just doing a couple of hours worth of work around the school a week.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
student loan. go to a college in manhatten like CUNY or something. if ur smart and dont mind spending more, u can apply at nyu and such, but public schools r cheaper. most of the schools in the city have housing, some of which are just apartment bldgs. keep in mind the cost of living in NY is high so even small ticket items like grocerys or a pack of smokes is gona cost a bit more, but u cant beat the public transportation system.

i just read u want aviation. im an aviation student at a public school just outside of NY in long island. thers a huge pilot community in LI and a few schools that offer it. my school SUNY farmingdale offers a decent program, and the training in NY airspace is good for experieince. theres also dowling which is further east on LI and is much more expensive. if u want aviation tho, theres not much avail in the heart of NY, but like i said my schools 25 miles from manhatten

and as for money, my entire tuition is all loans. however im moving outa the dorms soon into an apartment, so thats gona cost me a bit more.

·
Awesome User
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'd like to find a job.. I'd love to be able to know someone and share expenses. Things like food and all that, I eat very little. So thats not a big deal. I only have certain bills, power,water,internet and whutever else you might need. Nothing major.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to find a job.. I'd love to be able to know someone and share expenses. Things like food and all that, I eat very little. So thats not a big deal. I only have certain bills, power,water,internet and whutever else you might need. Nothing major.
well , if ur willing to live on long island and take aviation there i am looking for another roomate lol

·
Awesome User
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well , if ur willing to live on long island and take aviation there i am looking for another roomate lol
I seriously would, I'm ready to get out. I'll pm you about it and see whut u think bout it all.

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
student loans will work, but good luck dude,
and find a school you wanna go to rather than a city you wanna be in.

·
Awesome User
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
student loans will work, but good luck dude,
and find a school you wanna go to rather than a city you wanna be in.

I don't know anything about a school or whut to look for other than coming out ready for a good paying job I suppose? I just want to be successful.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
there is a airplane school in florida, "embry riddle"

i dunno if i spelled it right, but i looked into it at one time, it seemed nice

·
need $$$ to bag
448 Posts
i'd apply for fafsa. and if you narrow down where u wanna go to school, u can get grants and individual scholarships. fastweb.com has millions of scholarships there to.

but if ur lookin to be a pilot i would say...
WORK FOR UPS! i know people who do it and you work through the week, while they pay for your college. and hell they have a huge airline courier that u can probably get hooked up with when u get ur pilot license so theyre u go. 2 my friends do it and they make bank and r gettin a degree. CAUTION: if you take this route know that you might have a busy schedule but it will be a small sacrifice for your great outcomes ur plannin on

·
need $$$ to bag
448 Posts
there is a airplane school in florida, "embry riddle"

i dunno if i spelled it right, but i looked into it at one time, it seemed nice
ya theyre a great aviation school, but to expensive for what it is. my sister saved money by just goin out and gettin her pilots license on her own with private lessons.

·
I'm a huge ass
10,798 Posts
Dude, did you know that you can get a scholarship for living in the Appalachian Mts? I'm more or less from Parkersburg, and I know how shitty WV can be, and so does the rest of the US. But in your situation, if you're accepted into a school, you should be able to go for free for all of your circumstances...

·
Awesome User
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dude, did you know that you can get a scholarship for living in the Appalachian Mts? I'm more or less from Parkersburg, and I know how shitty WV can be, and so does the rest of the US. But in your situation, if you're accepted into a school, you should be able to go for free for all of your circumstances...

yeah, MSU in beckley, i can go for free actually, just not sure whut i want to do, I want out of WV so bad.. so I hear everyone talking about they are going to school out of state, so figured that'd be a way for me to get out

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
yeah, MSU in beckley, i can go for free actually, just not sure whut i want to do, I want out of WV so bad.. so I hear everyone talking about they are going to school out of state, so figured that'd be a way for me to get out
hey man when it comes to it, ya gota do what ya gota do to get where ya wana. reguardless of where u go to school, u can mvoe afterwards, especially being a pilot u can live where ever u wana

·
Registered
227 Posts
man i would say if your ready to get away and start something new as bad as you, i would go for the air force....now im not some gung ho miltary guy but it sounds like your situation might work out perfect for the air force......just a thought but if you can i would definitly go to college first....well thats what everyone has told me....(i just graduated HS).....

·
Nice Jorb
3,146 Posts
Any idea what you want to do after school? Or, do you just want to get a degree and hope for the best? Do you want to be management in a large company? If that's the case, go to any school and get any degree other then liberal arts. Other wise, take the classes you need to learn about the field you will be working in and start working. You'll end up with a LOT less in debt and a few years ahead of other people in college. There are plenty of people making 20K out of college...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts