S-10 Forum banner

Looking for a permanent door hinge repair

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  67Truckin 
#1 ·
I've been replacing my door hinges every year for about 5 years and I can't even go that long anymore before the bushings fail. I'm also noticing the welds are beginning to fail on the actual hinge.

I can fix the weld issue, but I really want a permanent solution to the hinge pins and I can't seem to find one, nor can I figure out something that actually works.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#3 ·
I do lubricate them periodically. And I've never really leaned against them either.

I got the truck used and already having had them replaced once. The holes for the pins aren't even circular anymore. My truck also now has 285,000. I got it with 150k.

#5 ·
Yup, if the holes are egged out its just going to eat bushings. You have to add material by welding and filing or redrilling the holes. There's also a company that sells bushings with a larger outer diameter too but I believe they're only available .010 and .020 over.

#6 ·
you can find hardened steel washers and mig weld the over the holes- eliminates the bushing and the wallowed holes

#9 ·
just the washers- took the pin in with me and match the diameter- been on for two years now on my 94- they were horrible- was owned by a painting company- worked great after i cut the strike plate off and put it back at stock height- they lowered it a 1/2 inch so the door latched- all good now- i just hit the pins with some white lithum now and then.

#10 ·
i have found the bushing arn't as strong as the used to be- and the dealer near me has eliminated all stock for s10's from his inventory, we "don't spend enough for us to stock that old stuff anymore".

#20 ·
I had a friend mill some new bushings from brass bar stock. He even made some alittle bigger to fill a worn hole tight. The bushings are now better material than anything I could have bought and lasted many years until I sold that truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.