S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just got myself a 94 s-10 completely stock, and I am looking to modify it for performance and looks, I have a job and a steady income and I was wondering what were some good mods to being with that aren't too expensive. If you have any good ideas please let me know.

Ryan

·
littleX10
70 Posts
get a k&n fuel injection performance kit. They are cool looking and add good performance i've read on here. thay are about $270 from local distributors. someday when i have $270 thats what i might get. your alot more wide open on modifications when you own the vehicle. I'll own mine in 7/2006.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i already have the k&n filter and have been looking at something like that, I'm sorry for you , you still got a long time to go, but you already got a car so you are really lucky and will have a good headstart on your friends

·
CURL UP AND DIE
357 Posts
hook yourself up with a throttle body spacer ($70) and an intake for starters.....check out stsperformance.net for some others

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what does the throttle body spacer do performance wise??
a cold air intake is next on my long list of performance upgrades

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you want easy cheap horsepower go NOS. I know most people are scared of the word but it is the best stuff in the whole world. When I had NOS in my 94 S-10 I got a good 60HP gain for $400. Compared to maybe a 10Hp gain with a cold air intake for $175 on STS. All NOS does is cool the incoming air so you can get more air into the intake. If you use a Dry system well before the intake you can get great horsepower gains and not have to worry about cracking the block. The idiots that damage their blocks put the jet to close and hold the NOS button for more than 15sec. when the cold shot of NOS hits the hot block it warps and somtimes cracks. You could do the same damage driving your truck with a hot engine through a cold water puddle. I have 160psi compression on all four of my cylinders after 2 years and more than 20 refills of my 10lb NOS bottle. If you want to increase your HP even more all you have to do is put the jet closer and buy NOS controllers and sensors to prevent you from damaging the engine, or you can turbo the engine, but before you do anything make sure you check your compression. THat engine had serious head gasket problems. Chevy has a tech bulletin for the 2.2L in 94-00 S-10 that said head warpage can cause premature head gasket failure. WHat really happened they tried a new material to put the aluminum head to the bottom end that did not hold up as well as they hoped. Anyway if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

·
Da SlOwEsT MeMbEr :(
622 Posts
[rant]
omg... trevans...he wants upgrades not nitrous. u are just another american ricer. Nitrous is fine to have, BUT as ur one and only upgrade, to me u would look pretty damn dumb, especially on a 4 cylinder. Please, give him some performance tips w/o including such things like nitrous.
[/rant]
just my .02

·
Registered
920 Posts
StylezZ28 said:
[rant]
omg... trevans...he wants upgrades not nitrous. u are just another american ricer. Nitrous is fine to have, BUT as ur one and only upgrade, to me u would look pretty damn dumb, especially on a 4 cylinder. Please, give him some performance tips w/o including such things like nitrous.
[/rant]
just my .02
guess what, Nitrous is the ONLY way to get power out of a 2.2 with out going forced induction, all the bolt ons in the world arent gonna give you power. PERIOD. with an intake chip exhaust, these trucks only get 7 hp. The only thing i can beat with those mods is other stock 4 bangers. Sure its an improvement but it doesnt make the truck that much faster

and throttle body spacers dont work

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well since I am only 16 and my parents are VERY strict on what I can do to my truck NOS is definetaly out of the picture, so I am only left with bolt-ons to add to my measly to begin with performance.

P

·
0 Posts
Yeah my parents dont even want me to lower mine but I talked them into it

U could get an electric fan, Intake, Exhaust, Header, and Chip!

But if I were u I would go for more show than go!

I would lower it, get a kit(or at least a front airdam and rollpan), and wheels

·
Registered
31 Posts
StylezZ28 said:
[rant]
[/rant]
just my .02
Well if he wants to waste thousands of dollars you can. I have tried the bolt on route and find that there Hp gains are a waste of my time. When I upgrade a truck I want to be able to feel a difference. Now I am running a turbo on the same engine and it has more power than some 6 cylinders. As far as doing any other upgrades you do not need to as long as you know what NOS is and how to properly use it. As far as your parents being afraid of it they shouldn't the dentist uses a slightly different form of NOS known as laughing gas when you go in for dental surgery. ANd as I said before all you are doing is introducing more air into the intake you are not going to blow yourself up.

·
I rape little boys
1,329 Posts
DUDE..IT SUCKS HAVING YOUR PARENTS...TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN DO AND NOT DO TO YOUR TRUCK...MY PARENTS DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT..DO...BUT THEY TRY TO TALK ME OUT OF IT..LOL

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Trevans said:

Well if he wants to waste thousands of dollars you can. I have tried the bolt on route and find that there Hp gains are a waste of my time. When I upgrade a truck I want to be able to feel a difference. Now I am running a turbo on the same engine and it has more power than some 6 cylinders. As far as doing any other upgrades you do not need to as long as you know what NOS is and how to properly use it. As far as your parents being afraid of it they shouldn't the dentist uses a slightly different form of NOS known as laughing gas when you go in for dental surgery. ANd as I said before all you are doing is introducing more air into the intake you are not going to blow yourself up.
/Start rant/

Oh-wow!

You have a turbo too. Gee...can I see some pics of it? What's that? you don't have a camera or a way of uploading them to the internet? I guess i'll just have to believe you.:rolleyes:

give me a break...

secondly, nitrous doesn't cool the incoming air in the intake. It provides more oxygen that allows an engine to burn more fuel. Most people know more burned fuel equals more power.

Also on your head warpage issue: If you're warping your head, of course your going to have head gasket problems, IT'S WARPED DUH!

Dentists don't use NOS, they use nitrous oxide. The only difference is that the automotive grade of NO2 has sulphur(sp?) dioxide to prevent people sniffing it to get a "high".

And if you are holding a button to introduce the nitrous into your engine, I highly recommend you reconfigure your system to have it introduced when you are at WOT.

I'm not saying nitrous is bad for the 4 banger, and at the moment it's the only way to make huge gains, but do some research if you decide on it.

/end rant/

·
I rape little boys
1,329 Posts
yeah...where exatcly...did you get that turbo...from?...nobody...just makes them yet...well..they do..but they have yet to release them to the public...and even then....you probably....aren't gonna me makin a **** load of power....b/c..i would not recommend..runnin.g...to high boost on the stock 4 cylinder.....

·
I rape little boys
1,329 Posts
yeah....nitrous...itroduces more OXYGEN into the engine...NOT....air......maybe you should be the one to do the research.....b4 you open your mouth cool guy

·
Aviation Ordnanceman
201 Posts
:::RANT:::

It's NOT called NOS. Its N2O or NITROUS NOS is a company that make Nitrous Systems. Ever since that damn movie came out everyone and their grandma call it NOS now....

:::end rant:::

Turbo set up huh?
what kinda turbo?
how much CFM?
what setting(PSI) you have the boost set at?
What compression ratio you have?
Fuel System upgrades?
How about a clutch?
DO you vent into the atmosphere or a return tube?
Hows the 2.2 ECU working for ya? I guarantee you that the ECU wont work well with a turbo's fuel needs. Since most ECU's work with Vacuum and your introducing pressure into the system.

Theres more I can ask. I just dont want to overload your system.
IF you think I have NO clue what Im talking about, I spent 3 years in a Turbo car (Eclipse GSX) I learned ALOT about what you can and cant do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have posted a full description of how I did the turbo and no I have not put my NOS(I call it NOS because I am too lazy to type out nitrous oxide system every time) on my truck with the turbo. When I ran NOS I did use a WOT(wide open throttle) switch and I am aware that it introduces oxgen into the engine but it also cools the incoming charge. I had my jet near the beginning of the intake tube to prevent cracking the block because of the cold charge entering the hot engine. I only hit the switch for NOS when my foot was to the floor and my transmission was at the bottom of the gear. I never exceeded a few seconds of keeping the switch engaged. I have an automatic transmission and everything is stock. I would be glad to send you pictures of my turbo install. I am also aware that I have plenty of potential power being lost by not have a high flow fuel pump and a higher duty cycle of injectors, which I plan to do in the future. If you would care to see how I built my turbo go to 4banger/performance/(look under Deepskyy's post of what should I upgrade.)
feel free to pm me if you have anyother questions about how I did it.

·
body dropped
4,346 Posts
StylezZ28 said:
NOS is really startin to piss me off. I hear it enough in school let alone have to read it cuz ur to lazy to spell an extra few letters.
NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS
NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS:booty:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts