S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tire = Smoke
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drivin around in the blazer, smokin a few people here and there. Same as every other day... But after im done for the day and im turnin off the 4 lane onto the ramp, it backfires at me! Kinda scares me $hitless. So I try to feed it some gas and it isnt liking it at all. It just wants to run REAL rough and turn off, turning off seems to be its ultimate goal. So im tryin to pull off and take a look at it, but it just keeps turnin off. Finally I get it pulled off, after driving through some persons yard due to lack of brakes and steering!!!:) Nothing too obvious is wrong, its at the a garage now, had it towed there. Its a '93 S-10 with a 4.3 (w) vortec in it. 104,000 miles, auto. Just drop a reply if you have any input on this or even if this has happen to you I guess. Im thinkin somthing with the timing, but I'm not sure and Im tired of workin on it, thats why its at the garage at all.:stickpoke

·
Registered
129 Posts
Okay, this may be dumb, but it may be such a simple mistake you will hate yourself for not checking it first. Check/replace your fuel filter. I was having similar probs. with my truck, replaced that (under $10). Runs like new. You should check. Good luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
krazyshane.... nice truck... i like the hoodscoop....

·
Registered
12,726 Posts

·
Tire = Smoke
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:beer:

Well it seems that it was the timing chain, must have slipped over a gear. So next step is to go to the local advance auto and pick up a new kit with a couple gears and chain for 50 bux. AND DO ALL THE WORK MYSELF... YAY

o well
thnx 4 all the input

hopfully that cpi unit will never go bad for me... i dont want to get into that type of repair!!!

·
Tire = Smoke
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im gonna be pullin it all aprart on Saturday, and the tow-truck driver along with a local mechanic that lives on my block say these chains never go!!! This came as greeaat reassurance to me ( the one pullin the whole front engine off ) I dont want to just see a perfetly good chain and gears. I understand those CPI units go bad, but in the middle of driving, for it to just stop working is kind of odd. And I am getting some type of knock when its trying to die out. Im not sure if its commin from the chain or a valve... i doubt its a valve, i allready checked the left side for faults in the valves/pushrods. . . I still have to check the other side, but it may just be the chain getting F*(&ED up in there. Someone else said maybe the fuel pump, but again, right in middle of driving for it to completely go without n e signs, i dont kno if thats gonna be it. Maybe after reading this one of you will get an idea, all the help is greatly appreciated :)

·
Tire = Smoke
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, it is a new EGR and MAP sensor, so those aren't it... The timing chain wasn't the problem, im looking into the CPI unit... gimmie some feedback

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeah that happened to me before,except for the backfire,i was coming off the highway and made a turn then engine cut out ,had no brakes, steering....then i resterted it up and it sounded like it wanted to die ,hesitating,note that you may have a new egr but bits of carbon still break off and clog the egr so i had a screen put in to block it ..give that a look

·
Registered
31 Posts
whoa, i forgot i was in the search mode and was looking at some threads and i answered this thinkin it was recent and i didnt know it was 2 years old

1 - 10 of 10 Posts