S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I'm currently running:

Pioneer DEH-P7700 head unit (it's the GM-size one)
Pioneer 160 watts component dash speakers
2x Pioneer IMPP 200w 10" subs
Pioneer 800w amp
stock door speakers
JL audio tweets (in the doors)

My amp is running juice to my 10" subs (just that) but this ****ing amp is so big I can't fit it under the seat or something...
I'm in a regular cab, so space is scarce, and I want to upgrade my door speakers. So what I want to do is ditch the fat amp and get two smaller ones... but equally powerful! Anyone know of a small power box I can use in this setup? I would need one for the low's (goin' to my subs) and one for mid's - to high's - goin' to everything else...

·
Resident *******
11,269 Posts
what is the rms power handling of those subs?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would expect the space under the driver's seat is the same in a standard cab as an extended cab. I just installed an amp under the driver's seat of my extended cab. There's no way to get an amp under the passenger seat because of the hump for the catalytic converter.

You should be looking for an amp no wider than 10"s and no more than 2"s high. Length will be the tough dimension to deal with. The more power you want, of course the bigger the amp chassis.

You could look at getting a 4 channel amp so you can bridge 2 channels for the subs and run the other 2 channels for the fronts. I've come across a few manufacturers of amps that make 4 channel amps that have the right dimensions for you but nothing with allot of power.

Good luck finding one.

·
Half Deaf at 140dB
108 Posts
Blankput has some mini class D amps that are very small and put out some good numbers. I havent heard them but you can check them out at www.crutchfield.com

Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't found the amp you're referring to Brian. The only Blaupunkts they have are class "T" and they're too big.

Zac, where did your bucks go for that amp under your seat?

·
Registered
444 Posts
The amp I installed under the driver's seat is a Phoenix Gold XS2200. I paid $180.00 CDN for a Phoenix Gold XS2200 (barely used). A pretty good deal I think. It powers my subs putting out almost 250 watts bridged. It's quite small but I could definetly put something longer under my seat if I had to because there is still allot of room for length. Width is another issue with only about 10 or 11 inches between the seat mounting rails.

For my fronts I have a Phoenix Gold XS4300 (4 channel) running MB Quart components. I have the 4300 bridged putting out 150 watts a side to the fronts. The head unit is a Pioneer DEH-6300 with a 12 disc changer mounted inside the center console.

·
Resident *******
11,269 Posts
MTX thunder6500D seems to be a nice amp for the subs. not too big either.

Specifications
Power 12.5 VDC Input
2 Ohm Load 500 w x 1 Low Level
4 Ohm Load 250 w x 1 Hi Level w/ Smart
Crossover(s)
Power 14.4 VDC Low Pass 40Hz-200Hz -
2 Ohm Load 775 w x 1 Variable
4 Ohm Load 450 w x 1 RCA Output
Low Pass Only
Dimensions
(with ISO Feet) Other Features
Compression Circuitry
11.5" x 9.75" x 2.1" Thunder EQ
29.2cm x 24.8cm x 5.3cm EBC2 Port

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey cool, thanks guys... Now I hate asking this... but I have one head unit DEH-P77DH and I'm wondering how I can run 2 (or more subs) out of it... I only have one unamplified output, which can lead to one amp... Where else can I plug my other amps?

By the way, you guys are great for helping... I will definetely check out that MTX and that Phoenix Gold. That Blaupunkt looked pretty sweet too.

·
Half Deaf at 140dB
108 Posts
The biggest one they advertised id 10x2.625x9 Thats not big.you may be pushing it on hieght but l&w are fine.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-SVaTBGbWEGd/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=110&I=023PA2200&o=m&a=0

they have smaller ones and heat is not an issue.
"The PA2200 generates very little heat so you can install it just about anywhere without sacrificing cargo space — and no worries about overheating. Thanks to the low operating temperature, Blaupunkt can house this amplifier in sleek, colorful, lightweight plastic for a totally modern look. "

1 - 11 of 11 Posts