S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The start of a new project!
I'm just finishing the parts gathering stage and I've just begun the 6.0L swap!

The intention here is to make a sleeper as cheaply as possible, so that means very little go fast parts. the equation is simple; light weight car, big engine, low gears.

I bought it for $340 and the engine donor, 2003 2500HD for $1000
Between selling off the parts I don't need, I'm into it so far for under $2000

Pulled the engine/transmission on the big truck last week and I'm going through the wiring harness to make it a stand alone. I'll get it running again on the floor before it goes into the Cherokee. The Cherokee has a bad engine, puking out it's connecting rods.

The 6.0/4L80E sitting on the floor.

With a 4L80E the transmission should be near bullet proof as the GVW if the 2500HD was nearly 10,000 lbs. this thing should weigh in at less than 3200 lbs.
The Ford 8.8 rear end should stand up well as I've seen track cars running under 10 sec. on a stock rear end.

The project will be moving slow as I have limited funds and the work proceeds as the funds come in. I am at the stage of having enough to do right now, rewiring, pulling the Jeep drive train out, fabbing up mounts and such.

Stay tuned.

·
Yes?
63 Posts
It looks like a good start to the project

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool project! I can respect a budget 6.0 swap.

So who's gonna get done first, you or me? Haha!
Probably you!

I've just got the engine ready for the test fit after getting the harness stripped and ready to bundle up. The Jeep isn't ready yet though, no front axle!

I'm heading out tomorrow to check one out. Not too many 2wd front axles around.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked out the front axle today, looks nice and clean. At least the 2wd front ends are less likely to be beat up.

Picking it up tomorrow.

Going through the Jeep harness today, picking out what I don't need. Hope to do the first test fit by the weekend.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

2wd front axle installed, much lighter than the 4wd one.

Engine set in place, first test fit. I'll have to "adjust" the firewall lip where the driver side head hits. The oil pan contacts the steering damper and the carbon canister has to be relocated, but overall it looks good in there,

Now to pull the engine and make some adjustments and try again. The 4L80E trans fits with lots of room to spare.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dropped the engine and trans together into place, no problem.

I spent 30 minutes removing the grill and headlights. Considering how many times I have to go in and out, it will be a good investment in time. It takes about 5 minutes to maneuver it into place.

Unibody, yes. Very light. It should be around 3200 lbs when done.

·
Boozebag
9,111 Posts
Wow! Fast action going on... Not surprised that this engine is almost a drop in.
That axle assembly is really clean.

Funny why AMC/Chrysler never offered a V8 option for these rigs...

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing to show really for all the work I've been doing.

Chasing down electrical gremlins, Jeep is famous for those. Cleaning out the stuff I don't need/want. A/C, ABS, auto transmission wiring, Factory alarm.

Got the engine roughly placed where it is going to live. Ordered some exhaust manifolds off eBay, should be here late this week. I need those before I can fab the mounts.

Working on the accessories now. No money for a cool custom setup, so I make my own. I'll be using the Jeep P/S pump anyways.

I'll post some pics once I get somethings sorted out.

·
Maybe later.
9,335 Posts
This is awesome! I love it!

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not much to show for my time, I did a little of this, and a little of that.

Worked some on the mounts, some on the brakes, some on the rad install, and some more on the wiring.

Got the rad from Summit, $150
Snug fit for the space I've got to work with.

Cut out the lower rad support so I could make a pocket to drop the new rad into. Nothing bigger I could fit into the stock location. Stock rad was 23" x 11" I think, single row, this one is 22" x 19" double row.

I've got 5 1/5" for the rad fan. I'm waiting on the exhaust manifolds to finish setting up my mounts, so I don't want to make anything permanent yet.

Picked up my fuel lines and fittings today.

Next week I'm getting manifolds, air intake, water pump spacers. So I've got lots to do next week.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been struggling with finding exhaust manifolds that clear everything.

I refuse to spend $1,200 CDN to purchase headers for this swap!

I've tried 3 sets of OEM manifolds and cannot get the right combination. They either don't clear the steering shaft, don't clear the frame or they exit into the firewall. The latest ones, LS6, I thought would work but sadly do not clear the frame.

So I've cut off the exit flange and plan to have some stainless tubing welded on so I can direct the exit where it needs to go.

Stay tuned.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts