S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1985 S10 Blazer belonged to my late brother, and from records, he pretty much stopped using it in 2011, so I'd say the AC system has probably not been used in ~11 years. It still has the original R12 system, and my brother stocked up on R12, which was typical of him. (He left behind cases of all sorts of stuff.) The system still has some pressure in it, but not enough to trip the pressure switch to make the compressor come on.

Would it be normal in the real world for a car AC system to leak down over a period of a decade just sitting, or would you still expect to find it charged?

I ask because, like most people, I don't have equipment to recover refrigerant. One option is to take it to a mechanic, have them vacuum the system, recover it, and leak test it. Or I could add enough R12 to get the switch to kick on, maybe with some UV leak detector, and see what there is to see.

·
Registered
1988 CHEVROLET S-10 PICKUP 2.8L W/ A/C 2WD REG CAB LONG BED
9 Posts
Sounds like my situation on the 88 S10 pickup 2.8L TBI I'm working on. Been sitting in a field for almost 10 years, but I have it resurrected (for the most part). I would expect it to bleed out in that kind of time frame. I have the benefit of using the shop where I work to get mine evacuated, filled the new dryer with oil to spec and recharged with R134A (someone previously had charged it with R134A as it had new low and high ports on the system). It's not perfect, but it keeps me from dying when it's 110 here in Southern Utah.
You can jump the connector on the pressure switch to make sure the A/C compressor still works. At this point, I would treat it like the system has leaks and fill it with the Dye, if you can.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found my late brother's manifold gauge set and hooked it to the car. There's only 4 psi of refrigerant charge left. But I noticed when I took the cap off the low side port, there was a very short hiss of pressure being released. That's makes me think it may be leaking from the Schrader valve and may have leaked down from a full charge that way over a decade.

Any guesses on how many ounces of R12 are left in it with only 4 psi on the system?

·
Registered
80 Posts
If the truck is fairly unmolested there should be a label under the hood on how much it should hold. To replace the shrader valve unless you got one of those real fancy no leak tools you will most likely loose the rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts