S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i want a locker... tired of one tire spinning. imo open diifs are just trying to get u stuck by sending power to the wheel with the least amount of traction. so i was looking around and i found this http://www.shop.synergyoffroad.com/P...zer-PT1935.htm . so my question is will this fit my truck. the rear axle is a stock nonzr2 s10 axle with 4:10s. im just not to sure what my axle is... so will it fit if not i need to find another locker.
thanks in advanced

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
The powertrax locker will work, but I'm pretty sure you have a 7.625" rear end. I have a powertrax no slip traction system and it works great.

·
Gears and Differentials
1,395 Posts
Do you want this for the front or rear? The one that you listed is for the front. These are very difficult to install in the front, but very easy to install in the rear. I've had one in the rear of my truck for about 140,000 miles and it works great. I never put one in the front because you can not unlock the front with one of these. It will turn the drive shaft at all times, even though the right axle is unlocked.

·
Not stuck yet
969 Posts
I have a lock-rite in the back of my jimmy and love it.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The powertrax locker will work, but I'm pretty sure you have a 7.625" rear end. I have a powertrax no slip traction system and it works great.
the locker is for a 7.2 thoe... will the lockers interchange between axles?

Do you want this for the front or rear? The one that you listed is for the front. These are very difficult to install in the front, but very easy to install in the rear. I've had one in the rear of my truck for about 140,000 miles and it works great. I never put one in the front because you can not unlock the front with one of these. It will turn the drive shaft at all times, even though the right axle is unlocked.
its for my rear axle. what says the locker i posted is for the front? i cant find where it says?

·
m m m myyyyy sonoma
193 Posts
the locker is for a 7.2 thoe... will the lockers interchange between axles?

its for my rear axle. what says the locker i posted is for the front? i cant find where it says?
7.2" axle is the front end for all of them. You want the 7 5/8", and 28 splines IIRC

and they are cheaper here http://www.rocky-road.com/lockright.html

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea they are cheeper thats always good. now i gotta find out if my axles are 26 or 28 spline..... any way of knowing without taking the axles out?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hhh

·
**** New Jersey
8,325 Posts
shit, weld the rear up. selectable locker up front.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ignor my last post
shit, weld the rear up. selectable locker up front.
ha ha ha i would deffintaly have a bomb on my hands then lol

I found on http://www.rocky-road.com/powertrax.pdf that the 28 splines are in 4wd v6. Then it says 26 splines are in 2wd and 4wd 4cly….its in a chart like that. I wasn’t aware of 4wd 4cyl???

The chart looks like this

Rear axle
1995 – 2001 8.5 rg 30 10 z71 rpo g87
1988 – 2001 7.625 rg 28 10 4wd v6
1983 – 1995 7.5 rg 26 10 2wd all & 4wd 4 cyl

It was in adobe so I couldn’t copie and paste it. Another concern of mine is that I got my 4:10 gears out of a 2wd axle. I used the ring pinion and carrier… will this affect any thing?
I know this is a mess but please try to bear with me.

·
m m m myyyyy sonoma
193 Posts
What the heck year is your truck? It looks newer than 1995, so it should have 28 spline, but I don't know what you did when you swapped out your rear end. If you didn't have to change your axles to make it fit, then there's your answer.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
basically we need to know waht year rear end you have,

7 5/8 is the same a 7.625.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
Alright, you have 28 spline, that chart is wrong. Engine and whether or not it's 4x4 or 2wd DID NOT change the number of splines in the rear. And you have a stock rear, which is 7.625 with 28 splines. Second gens didn't come with 26 splines and the 8.5" rears didn't come with 4.10's that I know of stock in an S10.

THe powertrax lock-rite works fine, but the upgraded version would be the no-slip traction system. Keep an eye out on the forum and ebay, I picked my no-slip for $325 shipped.

Edit: I have the No Slip Assembly. I can't seem to find the P/N off hand, but it's definitely worth it, it works great and is a TON of fun.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What the heck year is your truck?
its a 99 sorry for the comfusion.

And you have a stock rear, which is 7.625 with 28 splines.
correct. thanks

i have the No Slip Assembly.
piced it and its anout 100 dollers more. i will stick with the lockright and deal with the noise lol...i have no idea what i did to make the letters so bold???
what fluid should i run in the rear axle with a locker ?

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
with the powertrax, just run regular stock fluid. I can't remember what i bought, I think I bought valvoline full synthetic, I foget the weight.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok thats simple enough. thanks

·
Gears and Differentials
1,395 Posts
I use 75W140 in mine to cut down on some of the noise. It doesn't make a lot of noise anyway, and I don't know that the thicker oil helps that much, but that's what I did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.