S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 s-10 2.2L automatic .sometimes not always after hitting lock up about 50 mph or so...it seems to go in and out of lock up... is this a switch problem or a bad torque converter problem .... i am unsure of the miles dont do it all the time and seems to do it less after 60 mph

·
Been there Done it
12,420 Posts
All 98 and newer 4L60E transmissions are Electronically Computer Controlled Clutch (EC3). They never lockup 100%. The torque converter clutches lockup varies constantly with every little change in things like throttle position, load (which can be a rise or dip in the road), temperature, air pressure, etc.
Actually the 4L60E hasn't locked up completely since around 94 when they introduced PWM. IIRC only the first year or 2 and the 700R4 had a simple lock and unlock strategy. A few late TH350's even had that.
What you might be feeling is the lockup valve starting to wear out the bore in the valve body. Since it's a steel valve in an aluminum body and almost never holds still, GM did have a problem with bore wear. There are multiple fixes for that, but most require removal of the valve body. Fitzall makes the least expensive seal kit to repair the valve. I wouldn't worry about it until you start getting a P1870 code.
I'm sure the constant tightening and loosening of the torque converter clutch is more noticeable with the little 2.2 than with a 4.3. Checked your trans fluid level? If it's low it might exaggerate how it feels. Look at the color to be sure it's a pretty pink and not getting black.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the much needed info!!!! Is there any pictorals of this area of the vavle body? and is there any aditives that can be used that might work for a temperaroy fix?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts