S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the fuel filter in the '82 S10 v6 2.8l I just bought. I've been able to find descriptions of where it should be (where the fuel line enters the carb) but I've been all over the engine compartment and I just can't find it. Any chance anyone has a photo of its location? Thanks!

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Lower left in this picture.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. So I removed the line going into the indicated spot (1). I can feel something in there but cannot remove it. Is there a trick or do I need to remove the entire piece sticking out (2)? Can this be done without removing the carb? Thanks!

Attachments

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Wow, it's been days since I re-visited this thread, but, yes unscrew #2, the filter's in there, if you haven't already found that out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help! I got the filter changed out today and everything put back together. Also, my Chilton manual arrived finally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could anyone tell me where the fuel filter is on 1991 s10 p/u V6 2.8 TBI? Everything I've read tells me it is on the frame rail driver's side just behind cab. I cannot locate it anywhere. Any other locations? Or can anyone provide a picture or diagram? Appreciate any assistance here.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Could anyone tell me where the fuel filter is on 1991 s10 p/u V6 2.8 TBI? Everything I've read tells me it is on the frame rail driver's side just behind cab. I cannot locate it anywhere. Any other locations? Or can anyone provide a picture or diagram? Appreciate any assistance here.
Inside frame rail, drivers door area.
Not a good pic but it might help:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well unfortunately the filter was not on the frame rail. It is in the engine compartment directly below the power steering pump and a major pain in the ass to get too...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well unfortunately the filter was not on the frame rail. It is in the engine compartment directly below the power steering pump and a major pain in the ass to get too...

well sir i might be wrong but i have owned a few 2.8 s10 trucks and i have always had 2 fuel filters 1 in the frame and 1 under the power steering pump and yes it is a pita unless u got really small hands u are gonna want to loosen or remove the power steering pump:D

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
I've seen a listing for a power steering fluid filter. Think that's what's under the power steering pump?

·
Cruisin' old school.. '82
1,301 Posts
Just to put in my thoughts. I've actually found it easier to remove my carb change my fuel filter. Though the previous owner had cut a small section of the line out that leads to the filter case and is patched with some rubber fuel line.

Though you can remove the carb without cutting anything. The previous owner had done a lot of odd ball stuff I've had set back straight over the years.

·
Cruisin' old school.. '82
1,301 Posts
I've seen a listing for a power steering fluid filter. Think that's what's under the power steering pump?
I'd say so. I never heard of a fuel system using two filters before. Also of its inline with one of the lines to the power steering box then its no doubt a filter for the power steering system.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,688 Posts
@wb32; Yes that is your fuel filter, Yes it is a pain . That thing looks like it has been there forever. soak it with some blaster or liquid wrench. If it gives you any trouble, pull the steering pump to gain access. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
@wb32; Yes that is your fuel filter, Yes it is a pain . That thing looks like it has been there forever. soak it with some blaster or liquid wrench. If it gives you any trouble, pull the steering pump to gain access. Good luck!
I got it changed out without pulling the power steering pump. Just a lot of busted knuckles and a few choice cuss words. Gotta love where they put these things.

But I am still unable to locate a second filter in the lower frame rail under the bed of truck.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,688 Posts
I got it changed out without pulling the power steering pump. Just a lot of busted knuckles and a few choice cuss words. Gotta love where they put these things.

But I am still unable to locate a second filter in the lower frame rail under the bed of truck.
I have never seen one with two fuel filters from the factory.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts