S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy S10 ZR5
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else’s s10 have a slight shake at idle and not a smooth idle, best way I can explain it is, it’s not a rough idle but it’s not smooth.

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
567 Posts
Start by checking your motor and trans mounts. If they are torn or separated they will cause some vibrations. When is the last time the truck had a tune up? Spark plugs/wires, fuel filter, distributor cap & rotor, clean the MAF sensor and the throttle body. I'd start there.

On a side note, I just noticed your signature. Thanks for helping your community as a volunteer fireman. (y)(y)

·
Registered
2004 Chevy S10 ZR5
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the last tune up I did was last April, new spark plugs, and wires. Haven’t done the distributor yet. planning on the fuel filter when I get paid and the rain stops

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
379 Posts
Keep in mind unless this is new shaking to you if you have a 4.3 they are all known to have a little bit of a shake even ones with the counterbalance shaft.

Now you still want to check things like the MAF, distributor, motor mounts, air filter, and just go ahead and replace the fuel filter it is a maintenance item and should really be done every 30,000 miles.

You could also have a weak fuel pump which could cause shaking at idle, a vacuum leak will also do it.

What spark plugs did you use? the 4.3's prefer Iridiums from AC Delco or NGK, coppers don't seem to last too long on these so I don't know how much miles you put on your vehicle in a year but if you used coppers depending on the miles they could be worn out already. If you used Iridiums obviously those should be perfectly fine and have a lot of life left.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy S10 ZR5
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bosch double plat sparks, and i replaced them when i got the truck. it had 128k miles and now has 135k. bought it in April 2020

·
Registered
2004 Chevy S10 ZR5
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
too add my brother did the sparks since he has been a mechanic for years and offered to do it lol.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
Get the Iridiums...the General spent a lot of R&D money on ignition systems. No sense messing with what works.

Reactions: Gen210

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
379 Posts
Bosch double plat sparks, and i replaced them when i got the truck. it had 128k miles and now has 135k. bought it in April 2020
The S10 calls for Iridium, also Bosch doesn't do so well at making spark plugs I have seen many times Bosch plugs failing prematurely actually just had that happen in my Toyota with Bosch, just swapped it out for Denso in my Toyota big difference.

If it isn't AC Delco, NGK or Denso I won't buy it.

My S10 did have Autolite coppers in it from the previous owner that I then swapped out to AC Delco coppers and it still felt a little weird but was running good overall but then I just swapped out to AC Delco Iridiums last month and I notice a difference it feels smoother and actually a little more responsive.

I know on the Blazer forums people have bad experiences with those platinum spark plugs (I am a former Blazer owner) which they are the same thing as an S10.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
379 Posts
This is from AC Delco which is OEM

This is the only option they list for your S10. Same as mine. AutoZone was able to get them for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts