S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 01 s10 with the 4.3,i put a fuel pump in it, put everything back in it and have no park lights, i have brake lights until i turn key on,turn signals work ,sorta ,but are dim, i checked bulbs, fuses. relays,lights worked before i put a fuel pump in,any ideas?oh i checked the ground wires,2 on driver side,one on passenger side.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds like u may have disturbed some wiring that leads to the rear lights..did u drop the tank or lift the box to do the fuel pump job? Check all the wiring harnesses leading in to the rear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i removed the bed, the pigtail at the back was swapped out, it still did not help, i have 3 s10s so i could swap them out, also the wires are inside the frame,and i never messed with them ,never seen this hapen before as i have put in several fuel pumps

·
Registered
104 Posts
yeah, something is crossed/touching/not grounding..dim lights are a sure sign..was there a grounding strap on the fuel inlet gooseneck?..it may appear intact, but lost continuity during the removal...try removing all bulbs, see if ya can find the draw, 1 socket @ a time w/a meter, then work yer way back.. When I did my fuel pump, I never undid the box, just "dump trucked" it, so no wires were disconn'd/removed(see pic) and still had yer issue..ended up I disturbed a weak ground coming off one of the harness assys...other n that, I'd be stumped too. Good Luck

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Been there Done it
14,856 Posts
It's more than likely something to do with your grounding junction blocks. IIRC in 01 the drivers side one shares it's bolt to ground with the ground wire for the fuel pump. On each side inside the frame rail under the lights is a little plastic box with a green cap. Those are the grounding junction blocks. All the lights go to them and then each has one wire that bolts to the frame. Those actual ground wires tend to break easily. Sometimes inside the insulation. Or the bolt and eyelet get corroded.

Reactions: hogster

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's more than likely something to do with your grounding junction blocks. IIRC in 01 the drivers side one shares it's bolt to ground with the ground wire for the fuel pump. On each side inside the frame rail under the lights is a little plastic box with a green cap. Those are the grounding junction blocks. All the lights go to them and then each has one wire that bolts to the frame. Those actual ground wires tend to break easily. Sometimes inside the insulation. Or the bolt and eyelet get corroded.
..zactly..those grnd wires are notorious for bein' weak

·
Registered
651 Posts
i think this video depicts the lighting/fuel ground on the left side.
theres another one on the right side for lighting on that side... i would pull those bolts and clean everything up.... maybe even re-drill a newer cleaner hole too

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
removed bed for better access, checked, fuse ,relays, re cleaned grounds on both sides with a drill and rock, checked bulbs, checked wires up to the cab,,i have brake lights with out ignition on,turn ignition on and i have no brake lights,turn signals flash on both sides, dimly, then, going to run an extra ground from fuel pump to rear grounds, replace light switch, still no park lights,all i know how to do anyway.

·
Been there Done it
14,856 Posts
Look over those wire at the grounding junction blocks. Sounds like you have break you're not seeing. Maybe inside the insulation. You can usually feel a soft spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
no breaks, cleaned grounds, pulled wires out of the loom all the way up tp the gas tank, all looked okay ,felt for a break or soft spot ,found none ,last night i changed the headlight switch and had park lights on one side, today no park lights, i have brake lights and signal lights with key off, turn key on , no lights, almost forgot, i can unhook the ground wires on both sides of the frame and it starts and runs, today the 6th no park lights or brake lights

1 - 10 of 10 Posts