S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my L33 the guy already had it hooked up, can't remember how. I have my intake removed and looking at the two front and rear bolts that hold the valley cover down. It looks like good points to attach my engine leveler to make a couple of trial fits. The reason I'm asking is that the L33 is aluminum and I want to be sure I don't damage the block. Has anyone used these attachment points on an alum. block engine.

·
time to get cereal
3,034 Posts
How big are the bolts? I know it's lighter but the 2.2L is lifted out by attaching bolts to the aluminum head. Just make sure you're using as many threads as possible, you should be ok as long as they are say, M10 or bigger.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Four 9.8 bolts, I can use longer bolts to make up for the L brackets on the leveler. I did a search and found a few guys used levelers but didn't say where they attached them.

·
Horsepower Addict
85 Posts
I prefer to use the bolt holes located in the front & rear of the heads... they are larger & in my opinion a little safer to use.

·
( . Y . )
955 Posts
LS engine lift plates lift from the valley cover bolt holes. Make sure the bolts engage the full length of the bolt hole. Picked up engine/trans no problem.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I prefer to use the bolt holes located in the front & rear of the heads... they are larger & in my opinion a little safer to use.
That's how I lifted it to put it on an engine stand but thought the engine levelers would hold it much more evenly and aid in trial fitting.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LS engine lift plates lift from the valley cover bolt holes. Make sure the bolts engage the full length of the bolt hole. Picked up engine/trans no problem.
I'll use longer bolts to make up for the thickness of the leveler tabs.

·
Old Fart
3,616 Posts
Those lifting plates use all the valley cover bolts to hold them so I think you should use as many as possible to be safe.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those lifting plates use all the valley cover bolts to hold them so I think you should use as many as possible to be safe.
The leveler has four L brackets which has to be as strong as a single bolt at each end of the heads. I'm not going to lift the transmission with it. An L33 stripped, no exhaust,intake,water pump, alt. etc. shouldn't weigh over 400 lbs max. I think it will be ok.

·
( . Y . )
955 Posts
My leveler is the same. I lifted long block/trans no issues. You're just lifting the engine, so definitely no issues for you. Just use long enough bolts to engage the most threads, which you already plan to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts