S-10 Forum banner

Lifting my 2.2L S10 need some engine mods tho

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  99S10Truckin 
#1 ·
I have a 99 2.2L S10. i just want to put some lift on with some 30 inch Off Road tires. I know the 2.2 isnt strong enough to spin them with any power. So what are some engine mods i could do to power it up? thanks
MJ

#3 ·
lol ya, one of the best ods to a 2.2l is a electric fan. after that a header and exhaust. if u really want to spend some money get it bored out and a cam and 1.6 lifters.

#9 ·
someone has to ask the obvious question...why put a lift in a 2 wheel drive truck?...nevermind a 2.2. Seems a little pointless unless you just want to do it for looks...Don't expect that it will perform off road like a 4x4. Underpowered and 2 wheel drive...hope you have a winch.

#10 · (Edited)
Karizma said:
someone has to ask the obvious question...why put a lift in a 2 wheel drive truck?...nevermind a 2.2. Seems a little pointless unless you just want to do it for looks...Don't expect that it will perform off road like a 4x4. Underpowered and 2 wheel drive...hope you have a winch.
why? because its fun. I have a 2.2 with 29's and i dont take it muddin unless i can get pulled out but i take it on every trail i can and it does damn good on inclines and boy is it alot of fun.

i only have a intake on my 2.2 auto, ive taken it muddin a few times. if you really want it to do alot better than most 2wd's out there throw a lock rite in the diff to lock those two tires up. go down to a junkyard or even the dealership or ebay or somewhere, buy yourself some tow hooks off of a 4wd blazer or s10 and drill some holes in teh front of your frame for those bad boys to hook up. buy a new vailance or cut holes in the one you got. Your going to get it stuck, but you will have fun doing it. Always make sure you have someone to pull you out or keep it out of the mud, otherwise keep in on dry areas. Construction yards are fun, these trucks can get through alot, these 2.2's make great torque.

#11 ·
I wasn't trying to be a dick with my comment, I jus meant the truck was not built for that purpose. It was just some advice to be with people who can pull you or have some means to get unstuck cause you're gonna. I have the exact same truck and i can get stuck in my paved driveway. Everyones version of fun is different...S10jimi is right though know your limits cause your friends will hate you after 5-6 times a day of pulling you out...lol

#12 ·
my 95 2.2 is pushin 35s :eek: solid axle 4x4 convertions and really low gears, 4:1 in t-case, 5.13 in axles, and i can pass semis up grades with camping gear in the bed, thats all i could ever ask for from this motor.

and it works great off road, just as good as my old 4.3 in my last truck, except in the sand, and i hate the mud so i'm really just talking trails and rocks, which is where the fun is anyway.

so gears it is

i hear the e-fan and intake help too, but i still have a completely stock underhood. save the arb comp

#13 ·
e-fan gears and help that little motor breathe better and get the most outta what ya got be it through keepin it tuned up or even trying the whole synthetic fluids wherever you can (dunno if it works or not but eh ya never know)

#14 ·
i got the truck as a gift from my dad when i was 15. I just turned 16 and over the past year i have learned a lot about what you can do with s10's. The 2.2 isnt what i want but its what i got and im tight on budget so i cant just go by a new truck. As far as takin it off roading i just want to go on dry dirt fields or out on a farm i am not tryin to take make it some boggin truck i just want the nice lift look and to have some fun with it if i were to do the V8 conversion how much would that cost and would it make a huge difference as far as off roading? thanks
MJ

#15 ·
I bought my 2002 s10, I wanted 4x4, but snce I lost my other car I seriously needed a new vehicle BEFORE christmas break was over, so I just bought this pick-up for gas milegde and so when I get the car I want in a few years I'll have a truck to haul my stuff. I love my s10, it's still pretty new, and runs great, peppy, but not fast with the 5spd. I've put some custom stuff on it, and keep it clean. I've taken it digging, the first time I tried to climb a 10 foot snow hill, got about 5 feet up and started to slide back down, got stuck of course, had a friend pull me out. The problem with the 2.2 is they're geared pretty high, and when you get stuck they'll just spin the tires and dig in. I put bf Goodrich all terrians on my truck, huge difference over the stock ones. You can go through rough trails and mud paths, just not the serious mudding and digging, keep your speed up going through it or it'll bog down. It's fun going 20mph or so and hitting snow drifts, fishtailing and blow snow everywhere, watch out for the hard packed spots or it'll mess up your truck, and always be thing of where your valance is, it's not ment to hold up to pushing snow. Just take it easy, chevy's/gmc's are pretty tough and relible, but don't abuse the poor s10, or you'll be spending money just on repairs. I blew my rear shock jumping it, not recomended. I was takikng it digging in the snow, and was dared to get through a particualry deep part, I figured I'd need some good speed and just plow through, was going about 30 and felt the truck launch off the ground and do a nose dive and LAND, had the guy next to me going pale. Pretty sure that's what messed up my rear shocks. If you like mudding look for a cheap 4x4, so when you take it mudding and hit something you don't hurt your main car, i.e samurai, wrangler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.