S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 LS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have 235/75R15 tires, supposedly they are the largest size tire the truck accommodates. However, they rub steering components on U-turns and other sharp turns. I put 1" spacers(maybe 1.5", can't remember right now) on, and that helped considerably, but they still rub slightly. I've wondered if larger spacers would help further eliminate this issue, but by all appearances it seems that larger spacers might just cause the tires to rub somewhere else instead.

Question is: Would lifting the truck 1", 2", 3", or whatever height necessary be a sensible and helpful thing to do? If so, what the approach be? I've never lifted a vehicle, and really I wouldn't mind having mine lifted anyhow. Though it's only 2WD, I do take it places where a little extra height would come in handy. Also, for the sake of ease when entering and exiting the truck, better visibility over traffic, and a beefier looking truck. Thanks in advance.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,613 Posts
A good kit that will lift it 2" which is more than you think is the Rough Country 2wd suspension lift kit. Springs for front, helper for rear (add a leaf), shock all around. Personally, you should invest the $50 in the steering stabilizer. You'll thank me for that. The truck will ride stiffer, but if you ask me it handles way better.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 LS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A good kit that will lift it 2" which is more than you think is the Rough Country 2wd suspension lift kit. Springs for front, helper for rear (add a leaf), shock all around. Personally, you should invest the $50 in the steering stabilizer. You'll thank me for that. The truck will ride stiffer, but if you ask me it handles way better.
Thanks, jimmykicker, I'll look into that.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 LS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does this sort of lift kit impact the integrity of the transmission positioning? When I looked into it years ago I would hear that it altered the angle too much and put stress on the transmission and driveshaft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does this sort of lift kit impact the integrity of the transmission positioning? When I looked into it years ago I would hear that it altered the angle too much and put stress on the transmission and driveshaft.
This is what I'm trying to find out. I'm in the process of lifting my 2wd s10 on 35s

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,613 Posts
This is what I'm trying to find out. I'm in the process of lifting my 2wd s10 on 35s

It's a suspension lift kit. Just springs, leafs and shocks...and optional stabilizer for the steering. That's it. Only geometry that changes is the angle of the driveshaft. Transmission and motor don't move in a suspension lift. I personally think it's fine. A lot of people do shackles which goes 3" which may be too much. I put mine on 2 years ago and have no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts