190 Posts
Common terms...
IFS = Independent front suspension
SAS = Straight axle swap
SFA = Straight front axle

LFA = WTF was my first translation

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
943 Posts
You will be better off just using the 4wd trans from the beginning. The old grand isn’t a perfect bell match and usually requires a spacer to make it work correctly. Plus you may need to have a custome driveline made... that’s expensive so do it once not twice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you very much for the information but my plan was actually to do the ls swap first and either get the ls swap with a 4wd 4l60e on it and just leave it that way with no front driveshaft until I get the front and rear axles and four link in, or I was considering putting the ls on my 4l60e that’s on my 4.3 vortec motor and then when I go to do the 4wd conversion take off my 4l60e to build it and put the 4wd transfer case onto that transmission cause if I’m not confused the transfer case for that transmission is mounted to the rear housing correct and the only diffeeence between the actually transmissions is the output shaft
The problem with that is that the oil pan won't clear the front suspension. I want to put a V8 in mine as well, but you have to get a $300 oil pan to clear the suspension components, so I am going with a solid axle swap first to bypass that B.S. and see if I appreciate the 160 hp that the 4.3 puts out before doing the swap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Those work too, but they don’t describe if the axle is powered or not. That is where the Live part comes in.

Straight axle usually describes 50’s era gasser style drag cars, that would remove the heavy IFS for a live axle. Or other vehicles of that nature.
The problem with that is that the oil pan won't clear the front suspension. I want to put a V8 in mine as well, but you have to get a $300 oil pan to clear the suspension components, so I am going with a solid axle swap first to bypass that B.S. and see if I appreciate the 160 hp that the 4.3 puts out before doing the swap.
when I did my research it wasn’t in the way of the front suspension if you have a rear sump oil pan then it’s actually the frame that gets in the way however they make oil pans for the swap and also you can notch the frame I’ve seen it done but it doesn’t interfere with the front suspension (as long as it’s a rear sump oil pan)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You will be better off just using the 4wd trans from the beginning. The old grand isn’t a perfect bell match and usually requires a spacer to make it work correctly. Plus you may need to have a custome driveline made... that’s expensive so do it once not twice.
I thought the bell housing matched but you had to get the ls converter, flex plate and starter, which I don’t mind cause I’m gonna pull it with the ls at the junkyard

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
943 Posts
I thought the bell housing matched but you had to get the ls converter, flex plate and starter, which I don’t mind cause I’m gonna pull it with the ls at the junkyard
they will line up and bolt down, but the LS bell has a bolt hole at the top, and it’s a bit deeper, which means you will have to position the trans crossmember in a different location. Due to the depth being different the torque converter is also different. Unless you want to make double work, start with what you want the finish to be. Do it once, it will cost less in the long run.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
they will line up and bolt down, but the LS bell has a bolt hole at the top, and it’s a bit deeper, which means you will have to position the trans crossmember in a different location. Due to the depth being different the torque converter is also different. Unless you want to make double work, start with what you want the finish to be. Do it once, it will cost less in the long run.
Either way I’d have to swap the torque converter flex plate and starter though I don’t quite understand what you mean and either way I wanted to build the trans so it’s not any more difficult to put the 4wd output shaft onto it and 4wd convert it, I’m sorry I’m not trying to doubt what you’re saying I just don’t understand what you mean so I’m trying to get a better idea

·
Registered
943 Posts
You said in the beginning that you wanted to do this cheap, or at least not breaking the bank, but you are avoiding the suggestions that would be economical for the methods and ways that will cost 3 to 4 times more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You said in the beginning that you wanted to do this cheap, or at least not breaking the bank, but you are avoiding the suggestions that would be economical for the methods and ways that will cost 3 to 4 times more.
I never said I want to do this cheap I want to do it right and that’s why I said it’s unrealistic that I’ll ever actually get it done and why I’m trying to lift it as a 2wd for now so I can save and do the 4wd later I didn’t say I wanted to do it cheap this listing wasn’t even ab my 4wd conversion I was just asking ab lifting the 2wd lol, and I am trying to do it cheap that’s why I’m trying to work with using the transmission I already have rather then buying a whole new 4wd transmission and still have to get the flex plate, torque converter, and starter to go with it, don’t get me wrong I am extremely grateful for your help and advice I just don’t see the benefit to getting a 4wd transmission when it’s going to be the same amount of work and I’d still have to buy another transmission, I’m not trying to be rude or say you’re wrong or anything like that so I hope this doesn’t come of as that I’m just trying to show you how I see it and why I think it’s cheaper and more beneficial to use the transmission I already have and I’m asking you to please explain to me why you think it’s cheaper to get the 4wd transmission so that I can understand cause I’m just confused about what you’re trying to tell me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Honestly I mainly mentioned the 4wd conversion just so people didn’t get upset with me for lifting a 2wd truck, I know the 4wd conversion would be ridiculously expensive and difficult and I’ll probably never actually do it, I did my research and I know the engine mount horns (I guess you could call it that) are completely different, however how I planned to do it anyways wasn’t going to be a factory 4wd conversion I wanted to do a parallel four link up front with a Dana 60 hi, and a triangulated four link in the rear with a Dana 60, with an LS swap with a built 4l60e on it, so I would be doing a ton of custom fab work anyways so might as well just use the 2wd chassis anyways if I’m changing all that, however don’t get me wrong that’s my absolute perfect dream Sonoma I completely understand how ridiculous and unrealistic that is and I highly doubt I’ll ever actually get there I’m just letting you guys know so you understand why I was just going to use the chassis I already have
You must be rich I wish you good luck to your project.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What size are the springs on the front? Chances are, you could use coils from a different vehicle to add some height on the IFS and do a spring over job in the back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Live Front Axle
I've literally never heard he said that. I've only ever hear SFA (Solid/Straight Front Axle) but aside noted in the previous response, I've never owned a 2 wheel drive vehicle l, so I'm not on any 2 wheel drive forums reading such terms.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts