S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 S10 2.5L. It just started ticking relatively loud when accelerating, so I removed the valve cover, and torqued them down to 22 ft-lbs as the autozone reference said. After doing so, 4 of the push rods still freely spin, 2 spin with friction, and 2 are nice and snug. It is now much worse than before I opened it up, and has loud ticking at idle, and rod knocking when the gas is depressed.

Has anyone replaced the lifters, push rods, and rockers? Can it be done with the engine in the bay still?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That can be done. I had a similar noise on my 2.5, replaced the cam, lifters, and timing gear, and it didn't help. It seems to be piston rattle. This rattle goes away when throttle is opened, if you have a rod knocking you have more serious problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did get it apart, had to rip everything off the passenger side to get to it. I'm confused though, I got new lifters in, and I cant compress them at all. That can't be right, as they may as well be solid lifters in that case.

·
Boozebag
9,336 Posts
A few observations...
89 had roller lifters. They are hydraulic, not solid.
If you have a strong knock that developed suddenly, you probably have a spun bearing - which means you are wasting time and $$ with lifter/cam replacement.

Does you truck have an oil pressure light or a gauge? I guess what I'm saying - do you have oil pressure?
Did you remove the cam? It is rare that a roller cam wears badly, but it can happen.
Also, if you do replace the cam, you can buy a replacement aluminum cam gear set.
They never wear out or loose teeth like the stock phenolic resin cam gear does.

Check the rocker arms for wear... the half ball that the rocker rides on can wear and cause ticking.
Also - check for bent push rods. Roll them on a flat surface.

A word of caution: most aftermarket cams are flat tappet style. You can't use flat tappets (lifters) on a roller cam and you can't user roller lifters on a flat tappet cam. You can install a flat tappet cam in a roller engine with the right push rods (from an earlier engine - pre 86)

Post pix. They always help forum members figure out problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts