4. Power Precision upper ball joints
5. Bilstein BE5-2422 front shocks
6. Front brake lines from G&J Aircraft (909) 986-6534 index-5
Ask for "The Red Baron" quote ($50) :D
7. Custom Delrin A-arm bushings
8. 3.75 inch max back spaced rims, NOT 4.75 inch
9. Rear Spring Over Axle (SOA) conversion
10. 3 inch body lift

That should get ya started on the path for 33's off the top of my head...
Hmmm, I just lifted a 91 S10 pick-up and we have it on 33/ 12.50/15's too, no trimming or rubbing @ the fenders but there is rubbing at the frame at full lock, I'm quessing it rubs @ the frame because we are using stock wheel with 3.75 back spacing.

here is what we used to lift it:
1. set of used fabtech 3.5" lift spindles and new steel brake lines
2. 3" body lift
3. Dick Cepek extreme series 2" lift springs (stock control arms)
4. Aim lift springs and hangers

total lift:
8.5" in front and about 7.5" in the back

we also added Bilstein shocks all the way around, the fronts were stock heavy duty replacements and the rears we used the longer ZR2 shocks (Bilstein #B46-1819)
PowerPerformace extreme series ball joints were also used and 1.5" wheel spacers were used in the back to even the stance because Fabtech lift spindles are 1.5" wider per side.

I will be more then happy to post photos, I just don't want The Red Baron to think I'm trying to steal
his thunder :cool:

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
Post up!

How does these 2" coil ride? How much were the cost?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I wanna see them photo. Im considering doing a prerunner sometime in the furture!!!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Post up!

I have those dick cepeksprings too. They are ok now that they are settled and the rancho shocks i just put on the front made it better. Id say i rides like a stock leaf setup on a full size.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Post up!

Ok first off the truck I speak of is not mine but I do have possession of it and I will have it for the next month or so. the Dick Cepek extreme series 2" lift springs I got off of Ebay (like 992drjimmy stated) for $35 shipped to my door. I really like these springs alot, I have them mounted on a 4 cyl std cab S10 pick-up and compared to Moog 5664's I would say the Dick Cepek's have a softer ride but they have more bounce then the 5664's do, the Dick Cepek extreme series 2" lift springs have a better ride then the rough country 2" lift springs, the rough country 2" lift springs are very stiff.

The truck I speak of is at Max Tranmission in Bellflower, Ca. getting a set of 4.27 gears installed and I should have it back tomorrow or Monday and I will take some photos and post them ASAP!

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
I know it wasn't yours but I figured you already rode in it to be able give your opinion on it.

Looking forward to the pictures and good to hear about these results, I'll order them tuesday.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Ok I got the truck back tonight, It seems like it's got some get-up-an-go now that we went to higher gears....anyways I will shoot some photos with my cell phone tomorrow and post them.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Ok I got the truck back tonight, It seems like it's got some get-up-an-go now that we went to higher gears....anyways I will shoot some photos with my cell phone tomorrow and post them.
The reason I have not posted any photos yet is because owner has been driving the truck around for the last few weeks, anyway the owner has decided he wants to ditch the 33/12.50/15 mud kings for some thinner tires like a 33/10.50/15 AT. I will have the truck back tomorrow and snap some photos before we change tires.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Ok here's the truck, the owner had me change the tires from 33/12.50/15's to 33/9.50/15's AT's

With 33's this truck sits as high as a full size truck

I also lowered the front 1" by changing the 2" lift springs back to Moog 5662's (1" lift over stock)

and the rear was lowered 1/2" by going with a shorter lift shackle

I got to tell you, this truck really handles nice and rides very smooth on the hwy, I will take it off road this weekend and report back on how it does in the dirt.

·
it's an ugly beginning...
28 Posts
Hey Baron... I actually have a question about lifting my truck for you... for $200 I was able to get a Fabtech lift off of Craigs list, it included spindles, upper A arms (short arms I think?), Fabtech coils, an axle over spring kit (Fabtech too I believe), add a leafs, shackles, and Fabtech shocks... after reading about your lift I'm torn about whether or not I should use everything...

I just purchased and installed Mcquay Norris FCS5664S coil springs a week before I found this kit...

it seems like the upper A arms and Fabtech springs might cost me a lot more money to make work (and then not work in the end anyway)... I was kinda hoping to fit 33's but would be happy with 31's... I'd like your .02, I don't know what I should do... I don't have more money to spend on this endeavor and I don't offroad (at this point, that could change).

If I went with the arms and springs on a street driven truck what could I expect? would I need to use the leaf over axle? or just add a leafs and shackles? would I even be able to fit 33's if I used the arms and springs with spindles? thanks.

·
Zr2.2
2,190 Posts
Red Baron hasn't posted here in a looong time....

If you'd be happy with 31's you could keep your 5664 springs in there and add the lift spindles you bought, then throw some shackles in the rear to level it out. 31's are nice but are not so big that you have to really starting trimming or adding more parts so they fit. You wouldn't need the upper arms, fabtech coils, or spring over kit. You could sell these and put that toward tires or something.

Now if you want 33's, you'll need the spindles, lift coils(moogs would be fine, fabtech would ride like crap), and a body lift or a sawzall. Take a look at 992drjimmy's truck that had 33/12.5's on it. He had spindles, 2" coils, and a 3" body lift, and a spring over kit, and still had to trim a bit. Then if you have a 4cly you'll NEED to regear the rear end. If the fabtech coils are really 3" lift springs they will ride like hell and have minimal wheel travel as they will have the suspension nearly resting on the droop stops.

You will need extended brake lines with either lift. From the sounds of it you'd be best off with 31's and lift choice "A".

·
28 Posts
Red Baron hasn't posted here in a looong time....

If you'd be happy with 31's you could keep your 5664 springs in there and add the lift spindles you bought, then throw some shackles in the rear to level it out. 31's are nice but are not so big that you have to really starting trimming or adding more parts so they fit. You wouldn't need the upper arms, fabtech coils, or spring over kit. You could sell these and put that toward tires or something.

Now if you want 33's, you'll need the spindles, lift coils(moogs would be fine, fabtech would ride like crap), and a body lift or a sawzall. Take a look at 992drjimmy's truck that had 33/12.5's on it. He had spindles, 2" coils, and a 3" body lift, and a spring over kit, and still had to trim a bit. Then if you have a 4cly you'll NEED to regear the rear end. If the fabtech coils are really 3" lift springs they will ride like hell and have minimal wheel travel as they will have the suspension nearly resting on the droop stops.

You will need extended brake lines with either lift. From the sounds of it you'd be best off with 31's and lift choice "A".
thanks, I really appreciate the info... luckily this kit I picked up even came with the brake lines... I've seen a couple posts on the forum saying you don't really need the extended brake lines with the spindles, stating that you can just unclip one of the clips that holds the brake line and it frees up enough slack in the line...

I originally was only going to do spindles and the moog coils (the mcquay norris springs I got are exactly the same as moog 5664's, 1.5-2" lift?) I have the 4.3TBI motor, I was looking forward to seeing if the lower RPM's improve highway mileage...

I'm lifting purely for looks... if I use the upper A arms (for looks, not that I wouldn't have a little fun with it sometimes) with the 5664 springs and spindles I'd easily fit 31's... but, would it look good? I'm planning to go with a 3" backspace rim for a more aggressive stance, combined with the ~1" width that the Fabtech spindles give me will it still clear the fenders?

thanks in advance for the info, it's much appreciated!

·
Zr2.2
2,190 Posts
What year is the truck? That will help us know if it'll fit... I seem to recall I read its a second gen in one of your posts?

I should note the fitment I stated was on a second gen. The first gen trucks have smaller wheel openings and may require more lift...

·
28 Posts
What year is the truck? That will help us know if it'll fit... I seem to recall I read its a second gen in one of your posts?

I should note the fitment I stated was on a second gen. The first gen trucks have smaller wheel openings and may require more lift...
my truck is a 1994 with 4.3TBI... I just found out that the lift kit came off of a 4cylinder... unfortunately the guy spray painted everything black so I can't see the model numbers on the springs and I got them through a middle man so I can't just call and ask... from the look of it the bump stops on the A arms are worn pretty badly (to the metal under the rubber), but with my heavier motor I should have a little more downward travel right? but if they are the lower spring rate Fabtechs then my current 5664's may even give me the same or more lift than the fabtech springs? I'm lost, I want as much lift as I can get with this suff, I just want it without things breaking or having to replace ball joints every six months...

·
28 Posts

I just looked at your profile... you have the 5664's fab spindles and 31's... would you mind emailing me some pictures of your truck? if I just put my spindles on and leveled the back up that's where I'd be... I'd really appreciate it...

[email protected]

thanks again!

·
28 Posts

I just looked through your threads and found some pictures... all you have up front is 5664's and fab spindles? that looks great, I'd be thrilled with that... now if my truck wasn't so damn beat up and ugly... lol how much lift do you have in the rear? I'd like to be able to load it once in a while (like if moving or something), would shackles be enough? will they hurt handling? would a leaf over axle be too much rear lift? I'm not into the rake or the cali lift, I want it to sit as close to level as possible unloaded...

·
Zr2.2
2,190 Posts
I just looked through your threads and found some pictures... all you have up front is 5664's and fab spindles? that looks great, I'd be thrilled with that... now if my truck wasn't so damn beat up and ugly... lol how much lift do you have in the rear? I'd like to be able to load it once in a while (like if moving or something), would shackles be enough? will they hurt handling? would a leaf over axle be too much rear lift? I'm not into the rake or the cali lift, I want it to sit as close to level as possible unloaded...
I set ya a PM. Yeah thats all I have is lift spindles and 5664 coils. The rear only has add a leafs right now and has 1" of lift, it does sit a little lower like a prerunner.

Spring over axle would be raked for sure. Shackles will treat you well and not change your factory loading amount at all and ride like stock. Add a leafs could be added with shackles but will ride a bit stiffer and help with carrying loads. Best idea is to lift the front then measure and lift the rear that much. Though I'd guess spindles, moogs, should be close to level with 2" shackles and add a leafs or just 3" shackles.

·
28 Posts
I set ya a PM. Yeah thats all I have is lift spindles and 5664 coils. The rear only has add a leafs right now and has 1" of lift, it does sit a little lower like a prerunner.

Spring over axle would be raked for sure. Shackles will treat you well and not change your factory loading amount at all and ride like stock. Add a leafs could be added with shackles but will ride a bit stiffer and help with carrying loads. Best idea is to lift the front then measure and lift the rear that much. Though I'd guess spindles, moogs, should be close to level with 2" shackles and add a leafs or just 3" shackles.
thanks so much for the info! so I think that's the way I'm gonna go (your truck looks bitchin!)... sell the upper A arms, extra set of rear leafs, Fab Coils, leaf over axle kit... put that money towards an affordable paint job (I know Maaco sucks but I can't have caviar taste on a Burger King budget), and I can always do all the sanding/bondo/primer myself... Maaco has a $200 single stage deal... maybe with selling the spare parts and the 18" chrome rims it's currently on I could spring for the two stage... I think my truck would look good in black...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man i have the same exact truck as you do, i bought it about 3 months ago and i just made this account on here, the truck is the same color, year, 2wd and ext cab just like yours, it already has a leveling kit, i want to lift it just like you and put 33s on it too. i want around 6inch of lift, but i dont wanna go bankrupt doin it lmao. i found a 2inch suspension and 3 inch body lift from rough country, it will only run me about $580, what do you think?

781 - 800 of 809 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.