S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if some has put lift blocks to lower there truck becuase i have seen that some are cheap and are painted black and cast iron and are also tapered for the pinion angle. I saw a thread but they were talking about the 5 inch blocks but thats a little to crazy. my question is it ok to do like a 3 inch or even the 3.5 inch blocks they have ? Also i noticed there not as wide there only like 2.5 inch wide would that mattter?
Thanks
1987 gmc s15 ext cab

·
when in doubt lay it out
3,463 Posts
As far as i know lift and lowering blocks are the same. They come as cast iron, steel, and aluminum. IIRC steel is the best. Autozone sells them for 40 bucks with hardware.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run 4" blocks from a lift company, I forget which brand but they are the nice angled iron ones. Just make sure you get the right pin diameter.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
Well, lift/lowering blocks are the same, although the angle they're cut could be off. But either way, S10's have the leaf springs go under the rear end, so unless you weld new perches on top of the axle instead of under, lift "blocks" will always lower our trucks.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Well, lift/lowering blocks are the same, although the angle they're cut could be off. But either way, S10's have the leaf springs go under the rear end, so unless you weld new perches on top of the axle instead of under, lift "blocks" will always lower our trucks.
I think he understands this, just wanted to know if there was a physical difference in the construction of lift/lower blocks other than the way they were advertised.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info fellow s10 forum truckers
I thinking about getting http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/79003.html or the same thing of summit. I will see about the pin diameter didnt even think about that thanks. My main concer with most of the 3 inch blocks is that they look narrower than the regular blocks i dont know if that would matter or not. also these are made it says for leaf spring above the rear axle for 4wd trucks. is this what deathphoenix99 is talking about? so these wont work

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Summit makes cast iron lowering blocks for S10's for about $65. I need to get a set to replace my Belltech aluminum ones. I've always ran the Summit blocks. I'm afraid winter salt is going to severly damage the aluminum ones. There's been some pretty scary pictures people have posted on here.

·
needle dick! needle dick!
493 Posts
deathphoenix99 is saying is that no matter what type of block you put on your truck (weather it fits right or not) its going to lower it because the leaf springs are under the axle. i ran 4" angled djm aluminum blocks from summit on my truck for a year or so and they say that they require an adapter plate for s10s because the blocks are narrower. i never ran them and it was fine, also the autozone blocks are that same with as the djm ones never had any issues with those either

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Summit makes cast iron lowering blocks for S10's for about $65. I need to get a set to replace my Belltech aluminum ones. I've always ran the Summit blocks. I'm afraid winter salt is going to severly damage the aluminum ones. There's been some pretty scary pictures people have posted on here.
wouldnt u want aluminum with the road salt because it dosent rust like iron or steel??

·
Bought Not Built
3,541 Posts
The problem with the aluminum blocks that people run into is running the hollow blocks that crack, JTR (Jags that run) sells a solid aluminum block for s-10's if your interested in aluminum

·
Registered
269 Posts
Why would you not just buy S10-specific lowering blocks, and not have to worry about whether stuff is going to work or not? Just saying...
Because cast iron lift blocks are easy to find in the 4x4 world. For example, I bought some nice used cast iron and tapered 3inch blocks for a measly 10 dollars. On top of that, the local spring shop will make custom heavy duty u-bolts for about 20 bucks. So it's only $30 for something MUCH better than the $40 stuff at Autozone.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
aluminum corrodes just as bad as steel in some cases. one MI. winter destroyed my hollow aluminum blocks, the road salt ate the pins right off of them.
^This.

Iron will get surface rust but it's solid iron so it won't rust through. We'll see what my aluminum Belltechs look like in the spring. I have a feeling I'll be replacing them.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Other side of the state near Grand Rapids.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts