S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here's a rare find that i doubt i will ever find again. i'm at work (advance auto) and this joker comes in looking for a turbo rebuild kit. we don't offer any, but we offer rebuilt turbos. he tells me its off a 1980 pontiac t/a with a 4.9L, 301ci turbo. in desperation he decides he's done with it and doesn't want to buy a new one and just leaves it on the counter. so i put it in my box....blah blah blah. he comes back in the next day and i tell him he left the turbo. he's like yea, u want the motor too? i think he's kidding. negative, it's in the back of a beat up ranger and he just unloads it around back at our loading dock. he took nothing for it. so i figure wtf, and i bring it home. now i have two "eye sores" in my back yard and a garrett tb0305 in need of a desperate rebuild. anyone know where i can find one, tried searching google, cha-cha, and even e-mailed garrett with no response. ideas?

cliffs: scored a 1980 turbo pontiac t/a 4.9L motor and turbo...all free. now what?

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Wow I had no idea that pontiac had a motor that was turbocharged.

·
no more S10
17,422 Posts
that's pretty dang cool. never heard of it either. it'd be cool to put it in an S10. low horsepower or not it'd be so different I'd think it'd be worth it for the shock value.

·
ANGRY BABY!
2,379 Posts
i used to work with a pontiac nut. from what i understand, the complete car is worth a little bit of dough, so mabye you could actually sell it to someone that cares? hell, mabye i could even get ahold of him and see if he wants it...

dunno really.

·
The photo terrorist
3,336 Posts
I allways cruize around on high mode

·
On tha grind
3,060 Posts
Can you throw the carb/turbo setup on a sbc? That'd be neat/different... and if you can tune those carbs without too much trouble im sure some respectable power could be made.

·
Navajo Proud
288 Posts
my neighbor across the street has a T/A with one of those motors, it was like the 78' or 79' Indy pace car, and for only 210hp and 345ft/lbs of torque they haul ass

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Can you throw the carb/turbo setup on a sbc? That'd be neat/different... and if you can tune those carbs without too much trouble im sure some respectable power could be made.
No you can't...Its an oldsmobile 301 engine I beleive....The exaust manifolds are way off and the intake is way diffrent as well.....Besides Turbo and carbs just dont mix well and those parts are junk to top it off.

Cool score though bro....Its a collector. :)

·
I want you to drag or die
593 Posts
I used to work with a guy who had one of those. He said it wasn't that fast off the line, but once you got moving, it hauled ass. He also said that after running it for a while the turbo got hot as hell and would damn near melt the heat sheald.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts